Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor doesn't want to idle.....had to use the choke a few times today to get started. Never was a "one turn start" type of motor but, its worse....once it's running it's ok and if left at idle it will eventually "starve".....runs great wide open and even at any other RPM other than idle.....

Tony

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[Q]ericjp originally wrote:
You might want to have the carbs cleaned. Sounds like the idle jets\passages might be clogged.
[/Q]

Makes sense to me.....the motor runs great! I have no complaints other than it won't run a trotline because of the "hiccups".......I try to "blow" it out at full RPM once in a while but it ain't working no more.....Thanks for your advice.

Tony

·
Registered
629 Posts
[Q]Antman40 originally wrote:
[Q]ericjp originally wrote:
You might want to have the carbs cleaned. Sounds like the idle jets\passages might be clogged.
[/Q]

Makes sense to me.....the motor runs great! I have no complaints other than it won't run a trotline because of the "hiccups".......I try to "blow" it out at full RPM once in a while but it ain't working no more.....Thanks for your advice.

Tony
[/Q]

"Hiccups" or sneezing are a symptom of lean running, potentially destructive to cylinders. Ussually caused by **** in carb, wrong float level, etc. Get it checked out by a pro ASAP (I wouldn't run it until it's fixed.)

Jim

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[Q]2DGRADY originally wrote:
Perform a leakdown to determine the % on each cylinder and pray!!
[/Q]

What leads you to this conclusion?

Tony

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a boat which had similar symptoms and we tried everything including Carb work. Finally we did a leak down which from what I understand is a true barometer o how the bengine is performing on all cyliders and I needed a rebuild of the powerhead. [sad]. Good Luck!!

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,137 Posts
Add 16 ounces of Sea Foam to one half gallon of gas and run it thru the engine for 15 minutes at idle. Let engine rest for 15 minutes. Repeat process until all gas used up.
This will clean everything inside the carbs and engine. Most of the carbon deposits in the cylinders, piston ring grooves, etc will be removed allowing the rings to float properly in their grooves which will give a better seal in the cylinders.
If your engine doesn't run better after doing this treatment, you owe me a beer.[grin]

You can get Sea Foam at most NAPA or Car Quest stores. 16 oz. can is less than $6.00. Do not buy the areosol version called Deep Creep. It will not get into all the carb circuits.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See Jerry, I didn't even bother you with this one and you came to the rescue anyway! Man I am gonna have to buy you some beer for real this year!

Thanks! And Thank you for everyone's input!

Tony

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sea Foam will not clean stuff from the small passages in the carb if they're not soluble. The only way to clean a carb is to dissassemble it, soak in carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air. if the sneezing continues after the Sea Foam deal, clean & rebuild the carbs pronto.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to follow up in case someone else runs into a similar problem....I did what "Polecat" said about the 64oz gas and 16oz "Sea foam" and let her idle for 3 different 15 minute periods.....Smoke, smoke and more smoke. I then put 3 16oz cans of sea foam into 50 gal of gas (in the tank of course). Took the boat out and it still ran like ****. Seemed to run a little better through the powerband but still wouldn't idle in gear...
I changed the lower unit oil, changed the plugs, changed the water/fuel sep, and messed with the idle, didn't pull the carbs....went trolling yesterday (first time boat has been out since the "tuneup").....boat ran real good....did sneeze and cough just a few times at idle in gear.....trolled for a few hours. Tried to run at wot once in a while moving from spot to spot. Went out today for the big test.....ran a trotline and that dang boat performed like a fine tuned watch!
When I was going back to run the line again I would let her eat and let me tell you....top speed is the same (that's just rpm's and prop), but the throttle response is MUCH better!

Thanks for the help fella's......I got a lot of input from you guy's between bmails and the board. Thanks again.

Tony

PS....Was talking to a guy the other day that owns a auto parts store and he was telling me how his supplier is the same one that supplies some of the local Marina's. Supplier says Sea Foam is getting ready to go up in price. He has it for $7.99 in his store and I bought it at advanced auto parts for $5 and some change......Stock up.......Stuff gonna go up like Yamalube.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea you told me Jerry......
Now....if I can just make 5am hurry up and get here!

Tony [excited]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts