Tidal Fish Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
565 Posts
Interesting Skip, I always thought they hung out in the eddy on the back side like river fish. Maybe that's why I suck at fishing the pilings. Actually, I hate fishing the Key or Bay Bridge. Just too durn urban for me.
It's the same with Specks. Throw out ahead of structure and let it wash back to it. You'll increase your hook up rate exponentially.

·
Premium Member
26,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Rock n Load - The bridge / pilings can be fickle. Some days it is beyond easy - most days tough - some days pure hateful. I'm lucky to have dove some pilings - have better idea how they are underwater.

If you ever get a chance to be around clear water like a stream - try to watch how fish relate to structure and current / flow. I've seen Small mouth behind a rock like you said - but they were facing down stream since it was a back eddy.

From scuba diving - I've learned a lot about current in the bay. Some days it will be slack on surface yet current running fast on bottom in 30 feet. One reason sometimes we catch on the slack - it really was moving deeper.

Reactions: TDog3

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
565 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cool Daddy. I like to be able to have stern about 20 feet on up current side of a piling.

Gentle lob cast of Spot so it lands 5 to 10 feet from piling. Closer on slow current - farther on medium current. Fast current tough to fish. Some times the bite window is 10-15 minutes.

Let about 10 feet of line out and hold Spot. Idea is for Spot to be very close to piling so Rock comes out to grab it. Spot might only be in strike zone few seconds. If Rock are there - Spot gets hit fast. Get a hit - drop rod tip and allow 3 seconds. Drag should be tighter than tight. If Rock pulls drag - you lose. Pull it away - moving to other side of cockpit if need be.

The pilings often have I beams coming off them - down about 10 feet. I've dove some of them - these beams are full of line / lures / hooks. You have to keep the Spot and Rock away from this.

Sometimes the Rock will be on back of a piling but I find front better.
Thanks for the info. We caught 4 last Weds at one piling (all around 19" though). I was unsure on letting the spot run or keeping the line tight. We were letting it run a bit. After re-reading this it looks like we should keep the bail closed after letting out some line?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Actually, I hate fishing the Key or Bay Bridge. Just too durn urban for me.
The noise of fishing the pilings really is unpleasant. I am the type to go out of my way to fish in more attractive settings. Nevertheless, I really do enjoy fishing the pilings for the challenge it presents. And, especially this time of year, the Bay Bridge pilings can be hot. I have never seen as many charter boats fishing the pilings as I saw Friday morning.

Pat

·
Registered
413 Posts
The noise of fishing the pilings really is unpleasant. I am the type to go out of my way to fish in more attractive settings. Nevertheless, I really do enjoy fishing the pilings for the challenge it presents. And, especially this time of year, the Bay Bridge pilings can be hot. I have never seen as many charter boats fishing the pilings as I saw Friday morning.

Pat
I just drove over the BB, 4 charters, along with a few recs on the pilings.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts