Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to build the canoe from the free downloaded plans @ bateau.com
has anyone else built one of these? Curios as to wether it is as easy as they make it sound. This will be my first build. Would like to build their Pilot 19 someday as well. Let me know what you guys think of the plans from Bateau.

Thanks for any input!!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Canoe

Mark - I'm sure you would enjoy the canoe and maybe you ae looking for something easy to start with. One of the guys in my boat-building class last year built a "guide boat: from plans as his first build. He brought picks and it was really beautiful. Everyone thought it was a canoe and he would correct them..."It's not a canoe, it's a guide boat." The first link is British, so it's for info. only. Jim

Adirondack Guide Boat Building Plans

Adirondack Guide Boat wood strip

·
7,173 Posts
Starcraft

Mark - Is your 1963 Starcraft a glass boat? Did you refurbish it? Jim

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Mark, make sure your up to the task. It may sound small but it is very time consuming and takes alot of tools and space. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to talk you out of the idea just letting you know the goods and bads of boat building.

However, no matter how hard or long a project takes you you have full justification in saying-Hell yeah I built it from the ground up!

·
7,173 Posts
Starcraft

Mark - I just saw a 1961 Starcraft on EBay. Looks pretty cool. I had a 1970 Larson 17 that's still going strong on MD's Eastern Shore. I loved that boat. Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim-- my starcraft is aluminum. the first thing I did when I got it was romove the old floor BY THE HANDFULL!! I started over with a bare aluminum shell. Here are some pics of the new floor and transom, and some damage from a large tree limb. I will post more pics of her completed later.

rrr-- I remodel and re-sell homes for a living, so carpentry and tools are not a problem, the only thing I have absolutely ZERO experience with is fiberglass and epoxy.

Attachments

·
7,173 Posts
Building

Mark - I agree with rrr 100%. I hear a lot of talking about building boats without really knowing what is involved or what knowledge is needed. That said, building the canoe will provide good insights and you'll know if you want to stick with it. Jim

·
7,173 Posts
Fberglass and Epoxy

Mark - The boat is great. thanks for the pics. Very cool. You'll have no problems with building even a large boat although the skills are somewhat different... but related.. Fiberglass and epoxy is very simple. Example - mix one pump of resin, one of hardener, stir for 2 mintes and spread. For joints, add filler mixed with epoxy to different consistencies, thicker or thinner. First coat epoxy with a brush, then mix adhesive filler (or ground up cotton diapers) with the epoxy For fiberglass, you just cover the wood with cloth. spread the resin and recoat every few hours - three times. That's about it. You learn to make fillets to strengthen the corners/joints. Use fiberglass seam tape on the edges first. Jim

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Although I am not an expoxy user the method of expoxying(?) seems to differ the using polyester. Filling holes and gaps with putty or filler (same thing) seems the same. Maybe Im just a "I have about this much resin and I'll add about this much hardener" type of guy.

Great looking project-the best thing about doing it yourself is that you can build the boat around you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here she is DONE! the pic of the side is where the damage from the tree limb was repaired.

Attachments

·
7,173 Posts
WOW

She's a beaut. You did an absolutely amazing job and the Evinrude 90 is the icing on the cake. My 1980 Evinrude 100 is still runnning like on clock on the 1970 Larson 17 ft. that I gave away 3 yrs. ago. I had those exact same seats and approximate layout. Congrats on a job very well done. I love the dashbaord. How did you get that damage pulled out and repaired so well with aluminum? Obviously no welding, Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim -- a lot of hammering and pop rivets, and a new (salvaged from a junked boat) rub rail

rrr -- dash board is one of them there fancy laminates (commonly known as 3/4" exterior plywood) with about 8 coats of uv protected marine varnish.

·
7,173 Posts
Building

rrr/Mark - I don't know about you guys but I sure hope we get a few more posters. I guess it takes time. Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have e-mailed / PM ed a bunch of guys, but seems they are occupied elsewhere, oh well all good things come to those who wait:D

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Mark

Boat looks great, 'bout time I got to see the pics since I couldn't see it first hand either crabbing or floundering........................yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts