Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished with Kevin Smith, Lanie, and son Michael Jr. with the fleet at the curve of the 3rd and the channel between the 3rd and 4th. Caught 15 flounder 15 inches to 18 inches and one, count em, one keeper at 20 inches caught by Kevin. Also caught 2 dog fish and 1 skate. Pink was our hot color in the am and white in the afternoon. Squid was producing better than flounder bellies this trip. Michael Jr. had the touch today catching the most.

I sure hope this is not the way the season is going to go, catch 15 throw backs for every 1 keeper. :eek2:

Could not ask for a better day though. Flat calm seas all day. Glad we were able to get a day in before the big blow.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Flat day on the bay....

....but someone didn't tell the fish that it was a nice day. Glad that you got to go.....before the nasty ole Nor' easter blows!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
a-w-s-o-m-e- Mike !!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Throw Backs

Mike,
Definately a lot of throw backs yesterday. Cathy came close by 1/4" and was a little dissapointed. :eek:
Nice day for a fishing trip though.
Glad you a least got one Keeper.:clapping2:
Regards

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,
Definately a lot of throw backs yesterday. Cathy came close by 1/4" and was a little dissapointed. :eek:
Nice day for a fishing trip though.
Glad you a least got one Keeper.:clapping2:
Regards
We had a couple that were 18 inches. If we pushed the tail together and measured from the lower (open) jaw, we got it to 18 1/4. But back he went. If this were last year, we would have came back with a fine mess of flounder keeping 13.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know what you mean with the keeper ratio,I fished alone yesterday,and it took 30 fish to get 6 keepers,kept my 5,as the first keeper after releasing 10- 17 to 18" fish,decided to do the out of the hands,backflip to the back,and skip over the transom for a quick getaway:eek: .
I did want to say thanks for the heads up on the radio with the storm warning.gave me time to dig out the wet gear before getting soaked.
I just hope the mortallity rate on the released fish isn't to high.its tough throwing 18 fish back.
Thanks again for the heads up.Claude.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Good talking to you out there Mike...thanks for giving me a shout. I know it's tough throwing them back but I think the decreased limits and larger minimum will only improve the fishery (as long as the rest of the management process is sound).

Glenn

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wtrdog Here, We Also Fished With The Fleet On Sat. We Had All Throwbacks But At Least I Got To Use My New X-factor Hook Remover. It Worked Great. And Any Day On The Water Is Better Than A Day Doing Yardwork!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
just think about all the future flounder you're creating by letting those <18.5 inchers go. as long as the regs don't go up by 2 inches every year eventually the fish will catch up and we'll end up with a world class fishery.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Flounder

Mike, Lanie & Mike Jr,

Good to see ya'll again. It was definietly good company, good weather and good fishing!!

A special thanks to Mike Jr. for giving us all a lesson in flounder fishing!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Another special thanks to Lanie for the "killer sandwhiches" she made!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I realized on the drive home I forgot to give you any money for gas, but will take care of that the next time we get together. Looking forward to getting ya'll out on the Weekend Mistress.

Today it is off to Indianapolis for business and back to Richmond Wednesday evening.

Thanks Again,
Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks for the report Mike and crew. Still tryin' to get out for my first flattie trip of the year. Weather or work are doin me in. Kevin, the bar should be turning on pretty soon--according to my logs, I started catching some decent fish around their in May!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mike,

Good talking to you on the VHF.
Dan & I managed two keepers, 20 & 21", and only one throwback; it was a long day but nevertheless a great day on the water, & oh what a difference 24 hrs. can make w/ this Noreaster.

Evan.

Fishing on the GW 330 Express DAWGONIT

1 - 19 of 19 Posts