Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's family from Michigan came to visit this week. Jake fished with me a couple of times last year, but his father Andy had never seen a rockfish before. He'd also never held a spinning outfit although he can give the bluegill in his farm pond hell with a cane pole. Andy farms about 5000 acres, so time-off doesn't come easy. I was glad to get them out on the water. We looked around all over the mid-bay finding a few working birds south of Breezy but mostly small fish. Farther south we found even more fish, but again, all smalls. I showed Andy how to turn over the bell and cast his reel and pretty soon he had the hang of feeling for the bottom with his jig. He landed his first striper about the same time Jake surprised me with a four-spotter red drum, the first of three we caught over the two days.

Today we launched into the Tred Avon and ran out of the Choptank. Nothing moving in the river, not even any birds at the mouth. We buzzed across to find fish. Andy tuned-in to his jig better today and caught about 20 fish while Jake did about the same. Many of the fish had sea lice. Although plenty of keepers, there just wasn't anything any size to be found. We kept enough fish for dinner. If weather permits we'll try upper bay tomorrow before their afternoon flight home. Despite the lack of quality fish, the frequent pullage was still fun and I think they'll take a few stories with them back to the farm lands.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Looks good Shawn...there are quite a few ramps that are closer than the Tred Avon ramp...but thats my favorite one...
Great report...kinda like our 2 day report....

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Nice report Shawn:thumbup: Cool catch....on the Specs:clap: Thats one time when your spouse never complains when your fishing.......when your out with her family:yes:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
looks like a fun time was had by all! thanks for the report/story/pics. Nice seeing you out there

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Shawn -

Nice report. We caught some of those puppy drum as well. Pretty surprised when we reeeled them up. The tails were bright purple. Pretty cool.

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fin Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Nice day of Catching Shawn and a red to boot. Looks like your over in Jamie's stomping grounds........You gotta get him to give up all his hot spots:D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Im sure the family is happy with that pullage. Thanks for the report.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts