Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just ordered a new Savage .17 cal HMR, heavy barrel and the accutrigger. I was impressed on the reviews of how flat it shot, and nice small groups. Now I hear stories that it won't kill a groundhog "dead" at much more than 75 or 100 yards. If thats true, I'll stay with a .22 LR or .22 Mag. So how about any of you that own one and shoot critters with it. How has yours worked, and what brand and type bullet do you use. T.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have heard that a guy shot a fox in its head and only blew its bottom jaw off and no dead fox. But then I have also heard that it is one of the top choices for road hunters for shooting deer (in the ear). Dont ask how I found that one out. No first hand experience with it but I do know that my Savage 22mag will shoot a .5" group at 100yds. And, it does have enough in it to kill a deer, first hand experience with this statement.

Capt_Ben

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I shoot a .17 Remington at over 4,000 FPS and it gets a little "iffy" around 200 yards.

That is a pretty tiny pill, exactly the size of a BB, but of course longer and heavier.

I quite frankly see the purpose of any of the rimfire .17s - - - but that ain't gonna stop me from buying and trying one !

I gotta look at retained velocity out at a hundred, and 150 yards. That little pill needs plenty of velocity to expand and kill at that range.

I am guessing much under 1800 FPS would be getting to the margin of good expansion and kill range.

Of course it all depends on bullet construction. I would like to see an exposed lead tip to help with the expansion - - - but I don't know if the rimfire .17s have such a bullet available.

BB

·
Registered
365 Posts
They have their purpose they are flat shooting little buggers and do have some pop. But the 22 mag. had a lot more power and isn't effected by the wind as much. I love my 22 mag. and know what it can do.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I received the Savage Mod. 97 17 HMR heavy barrel, hard wood stock and 3X9X40 Simmons scope package for Christmas and have had it on the bench and in the field. From the bench with Acu-trigger adjusted down to max about 3 lbs. package scope and mounts the gun shot great. At 25 yards I was on an 8 ½” X 11” target the first shot, nine shots latter I was in the 1” square with three holes grouped in a 3/16” area touching each other. Moved out to 100 yards with a bench rest and fine tuned with another twelve shots with the last three in a 1” square with the holes grouped within 3/8”. I was impressed with its accuracy so I cleaned the barrel with Sweets and shot another group, two holes touched one hole out about 5/16”, lucky shot, I can’t do that with a stock unaltered 22 LR or 22 Mag. I then shot from the 100 yard bench at fruit, the orange provided the most dramatic explosion with the Remington explosive 17 grain V-Max Boat Tail bullet with muzzle velocity of 2550 fps, the apple was also very messy. I was very surprised after shooting a full plastic water bottle, I inspected the plastic bottle and found the bullet had fragmented and made several tinny holes through the plastic on the back side but the plastic tip was still in the bottle, the explosion was also violent. I squirrel hunted with it that afternoon and bagged six out to 60 yards, the V-Max bullet made hamburger of the heads, exit wounds were nickel sized and at that distance I did not scare the rest of the rats in the area permanently away. The only other critters I fired on were some passing Black Birds and a Crow, also in the tree rat family, they were dusted in a puff of feathers. My opinion is yes the 17grain V-Max will kill a Ground Hog, 200 yards may be extending the range of the tinny bullet but out to 150 you have got one hell of a chance of a clean kill with a head shot.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Croakers,

I have the .17 HMR Savage as well, unfortunately it was before they got smart and put the accu-triggers on them. I also have the Marlin .22 Mag that has an aftermarket trigger on it set to go off when the wind blows. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The .17 is fine out to 100 yards for hogs, 150 is pushing it, but do-able, but 200 is pretty much out of the question. For that you need to stay with the .22 mag. The .17 doesn't have the energy left to do the job. The .17 HMR ammo is designed to explode when it hits something as compared to the .22 Mag available in hollow point configurations that expand, so when they hit something as your orange demonstrates, it's impressive.

The last time I did any research all of the available .17 HMR ammo is pretty much the same although one rifle brand may prefer one over the other as always the case.

Below are some links I found before deciding to add the .17 HMR to my .22 Mag.

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_ammo.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/magnum_rimfire_comparison.htm

The bottom one is a side by side comparison with the .22 Mag, the second one is just general .17 HMR ammo information.

Enjoy it, it's a very impressive caliber for as small as it is. Better than the .22 Mag? Depends on the use.

Chris

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also bought the Savage 93 about 3yrs ago, prior to the accutrigger. I did a trigger job on it and it's now at a crisp 16oz. pull. I enjoy shooting the 17gr CCIs at crows and anything else that I don't desire rapid expansion. I have found that the 20gr CCI XTP game points are by far better for controlled expansion. They are constructed much different and really stay together for better head shots on as big as yotes. I have taken around a dozen fox with my gun. The 17gr work great and are preferred for behind the shoulder and neck shots, but the 20gr. have proven themselves to me for the head shots. The 17gr can turn a crow into a black puff! I'll try to post some pics of an example of what the expansion can look like on the 17gr and the lack there of on the 20gr. Definitely graphic!

17gr. CCI

20gr. CCI

Found in above **** in lungs after traveling from nose.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. Guess I'll pick up a couple boxes of different ammo and see what the gun likes best as far as group size. I have a couple .223's for longer shots. This .17 is just another one of those "gotta have it" guns, "can't live without it". Wife just gives me that look, you know the "look", when I cart yet another gun home. "How many guns do you need?", then that look. Oh well, when I pass on to the big shooting range in the sky, she can have a first class auction and make some bucks. I was just thinking, I don't have one of those .204's yet. Wonder what the stats on that one looks like. I gotta go look that one up. Thanks again, T.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know the .204 is suppose to be a great varmit gun, but if you already have a .223, the .17 may be a better fill. I'm not sure what the cost is on the .204 ammo is, but I'm sure that it's more since it's a centerfire. I know the feeling with the wife. I have so many fishing rods/reels that she doesn't recognize when I get a new one! :D

Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here's a pic with my homemade scope light. I run a set of wires to a 12V gel cel that I keep in my pack. The lens was removed and coated with a metal scribing fluid called Dykum. It's super clear w/o any diffusing from a plastic red lens.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Croakers

Yeah I got that look from my wife, she bought my .17 HMR for me as a christams present. The only thing funnier was the look and comments I got when she found out it was basicaly only for hunting squirrels.

Let me know if you ever want any help with the hogs. I'll bring the .17 and the .22 Mag

Anything-goes

NICE PIC's

Chris

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The 17 will kill alot more than 22 mag. I have put it to the test on nutria fox and one unlucky silka. It will kill them dead out all in where you hit em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts