Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! I'm lookin for a new boat and the 17ft Maycraft has caught my attention. I'd like a boat that is small, light, and open with shallow draft. I need a good solid saltwater fishing boat that can take alittle bit of a chop in the water unlike Carolina Skiffs and other flatbottoms. The only problems I see in the Maycraft are its lack of gunnels (for rod holders), it's non-self bailing hull, and that it doesn't hold much fuel compared to most boats in its class. What are some of your thoughts on the overall quality of Maycraft? despite the listed drawbacks, is it a good choice for the type of fishing I will be doing? I guess the big question is "Maycraft or not?" If not then what do you suggest?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I've got a 17ft aluminum bass tracker v-hull. thev-hull makesa difference handling waves but it does make it difficultfor getting around in skinny water.ivegot a 40hs on my boat, its a little underpowered but i burn next to nothing in fuel. ive got 4 rod holders on the boat, two on the rails and two on the gunnel wall. its a good solid boat, with some good room for fishing

·
Registered
563 Posts
The 1800 Skiff is a lot more boat. If you are going to go out on anything but creeks and rivers, that's the one I would consider. You can put a few (maybe 4) flush-mounted rodholders on it, but if you get a boat that doesn't have gunwhales, there are rodholders that just mount on the inside of the hull.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a Carolina Skiff and I overcame no-gunnel-rodholder issue by using Caannon Track based Rodholders. Attached is a pic from yesterday - you can see the rodholders behind us.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ive got a 2007 1900cc Maycraft with a Suzuki 115. i love the boat it does eveything i need to do from fishing the flats and the bay, i even took it out of HI. Ive put a lot of hours on this boat close to 600 now. The boat is tuff ive been through some nasty stuff. Ive got trim tabs to help the ride out in the bigger chop to keep the nose down. The only real issues i had was with the scupper in the stern replace them with the ping pong ball type to keep water out and gel coat on the transome cracking in the corners but i think thats a normal thing. The sliders for the electronics box are a pain but i just replaced it with starboard and flush mounted my electronics to it. Aside from the little things the boat has been great, for the money your not going to find a better boat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ive owned carolina skiff, wellcraft, bertram, privateer....

A buddy of mine has the 19' maycraft skiff. solid boat, rugged, cleans up nice, very fishable. his is about 6 yrs old and still looks new after getting quite a bit of wear and tear. so for that, i would say a definite yes to maycraft. steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had one for two years now and really like it. It is easy to tow , gets great mileage with the 50 2 stroke . I have owned the Carolina Skiffs and found them to be wet and real pounders. I fish the Maycraft in the York, lower Potomac, Hatteras inlet, Ocracoke inlet, etc.I have had it out in the Bay during good weather and it does fine. It is a small , no frills skiff.It is a two person fishing boat. Little storage and you can not expect to take it across the bay or out too far in the ocean. It rides well, is dry most times, and I have caught a lot of crabs and fish from it. I troll for rockfish and Spanish and do a lot of drift fishing. I would buy another Maycraft. I tow with a Ford ranger and if I had a larger truck I would properly buy a 19ft.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Had an 1800 skiff with F100 Yamaha on it. I ran all over Hampton Roads, to the Bay brige tunnel , on good day you'll have a lot of fun. Ken May builds a good, solid no frills boat. You can overcome the rod holder issues easily. I put flush mount rod holders in the stern boxes. I traded up to a 2550 pilot house and have never looked back. Go with the 1800 skiff, more room, self bailing, ect... m2ctsw

·
Registered
854 Posts
I currently fish a 21' dlx Carolina Skiff. I love it for it's ability to carry alot of weight and draft very little water and it is an amazingly stable platform to fish from. BUT it will beat your eyeteeth out in rough water. It is certainly a wet ride also. I just adjust my speed to the conditions. I pretty much just fish the flats off of Poquoson on it so it does what I need.

Shayne

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 1700 skiff and love it. I have 12 gallons of gas and can go to wachapreague and run all day and burn less than 5 gallons with 50hp honda. I trotline in the nanticoke for 4 -5 hours and burn 2 or 3 gallons. I do not take it out into the bay or tangier sound- that is what friends bigger boats are for. Great boat for 2 people and takes the water well.

·
Registered
913 Posts
ive seen a couple maycraft 17 fters on the rapp and they seem to do good . i personally have a 20' tidewater and so far i am impressed with the 140 zuki , i can run 40 on a flat day ,,,, but i am looking into trim tabs ,,,, where is a good place to get a set and how much am i looking at ?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've had both bennett and lenco...I installed the bennetts and the lenco were already on my parker...ease of installation I would go with the
lencos...on both I had trim indicators.....usually the best price will be on the internet..

I've now got a sea hunt model 207 and it seem to do alright without them...on my 18ft parker they were a must....

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried to post an answer earlier about the rod holder situation but it got lost in cyber space. I have the 1700 and what I have done is to move the 2 rod holders that came with the skiff up front , one on each side of the anchor locker. I then mounted 2 Titelok adjustable holders on top of the flotation pods in the back. I mostly use these for trolling for Spanish and Rockfish. Next, I put 2 stainless steel clamp on rod holders on the console grab bar. Then I installed 4 of the Cabelas Quickdraw deck/flush mount holders and mounts on the rolled gunnels. They were bolted on with SS hardware and back up washers just like the cleats are done. I put 2 of these up front of the console front seat and 2 adjacent to the drivers seat , works out well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts