Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after much preperation and one cancelled day, we made our trip happen. KenY and Nate(ninjafish)met at my house at 8pm tuesday evening and we headed down to O.C..... We stopped in Salisbury at about 11:00 to pick up Mike Rose and were at the dock at 11:30. We were first in-line with our gear and Good Lord, did we have some gear:eek2: Between the four of us, I think we had more gear than the entire rest of the party:yes: Part of the reason was that we had intended on seabass fishing as well as Tilefish fishing so we all had 2-3 rods apiece(which isn't normal on a headboat) and Mike and I had made alot of extra rigs for people who may need them. I also had a recycle bin full of concrete weights in the 2-5lb range to use for the deep drop tilefishing(intending for otheres to use them). It surely looked like we were moving in for a month.

The Angler, with Capt. Chris at the helm and Mate Dean taking care of things on the main deck, we pulled away from port at 2:15 am weds. morning. Weather man was dead on this time......started out with winds 15 out of the NE with a 3-5 east swell and light rain.....changing to 15-25 out of the SW and cloudy. Conditions were not great and the seas, in the long run, kept us from getting out to wrecks in the 60 mile offshore visinity, where we had origionally intended on fishing. Quite a few folks were feeling under the weather.......but the Angler is a fine boat, and took the seas in strides.

We hit our 1st wreck at about 5:30 in the am and were about 20 miles offshore.......the bite was slow, with only a few Dogs and short Bass so we soon picked up and headed further into the darkness.

We hit our second stop at daybreak and started hooking up immediatly......from hear on, we hit many wrecks in the 40 mile range catching a variety of Seabass, Dog Sharks, Blues, and some fine Flounder. Most times, the Seabass would bite as soon as the sinker hit bottom......the throwback ratio was high though.......anywhere from 8to1 too 20-1.......but some nice 4-6 lbers were boated by almost everyone. My buddy Nate got 1 nice seabass, I got 1 nice seabass and Mike Rose got 3 nice seabass. Then obvcourse, we all caught keepers in the 12-14" range. Some wrecks held good #'s of blues in the 20-24" range. and like always, Dogs at every wreck:yes:

About 5 Sweet flounder were caught.....most 23-25"........and boy did it suck, having too throw those back.........thanks too those responsible for those crazy Maryland quota's...that theres no way, we reached:eek2:. My buddy Nate caught a flounder 24" and thick......2nd biggest he has ever caught.

Although fishing was not spectacular, and we never made it to the wrecks further out, Capt. Chris did an outstanding job trying to get us fish. Mate Dean, stayed busy keeping everyone in bait and detangleing messes that the Dogfish like to create and I think everyone had a good time giving the weather. Conditions kept us from having the hooting party we thought we would have, as you had to always hold onto something getting from point a to point b and this kept people at there spot on the rails but all in all, a fun day.

For the 3rd time in a row........KenY won the big fish pull, with a 10lb bluefish:clapping2: I think next trip, I'm just gonna hand KenY my 5 bucks and cut out the middle-man:yes:

We have a loose date of January 3rd for our next 18hr. trip and I think this time, we will only go if conditions allow us to make it to the Tilefish destinations, so if interested, p-mail Michael W. Rose, or myself.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Great Report might need to check Ken's bag when he gets on another winning blue fish (JK) still got some tasty eatin fish

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Ken Y on a bottom fishing trip is a tough guy to beat.Think he can jig up any fish out there. Sounds like a fun trip despite the rough seas.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think many of us took too many pics......I know I was trying to keep my camera out of the elements..........but here's one of Nates flounder.

It really wasn't all that cold out there.....When KenY left Frederick, there was ice on the back roads.......it wa 34 degrees at my house in Pasadena but it was 41 in O.C at midnight so not too bad. Wednesday, was suppose to get to 54.......that never happened but it was'nt bad. The water temp was also 60 degrees.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I thank everyone for the envite and we enjoyed the trip with the rough conditions. This time it was not the captians fault and the WX was 100% the blame. It was nice to put some faces to the names and take a different kinda trip. My first 18hr trip i had tilefish in mind also but the next time it will have to be good water conditions or nothing. i manage 8 keeper bass from 12" - 17" and 8 blues to 32" not counting the 2 i donated to the boat for cutbait. He was lucky i did not enter the pool b/c i woulda taken it :yes:. My blue was 32" and 12.9 lbs just before the smoker so i know he lost a lbs or so :bigfish: I will look forward to meeting TFers on the next trip (one of my boats or another head/charter).

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you made the trip........hope to see you out there next time.

Shoulda came off that $5.......you could have won that pool:yes:

Bill

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Thanks for filling us in on the outcome of the trip. I was wondering how it went with the weather predictions and all. Looks like you guys had a fun and productive trip in spite of the elements! Hopefully the January trip will be even better!

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Sorry I didn't get the report up sooner but my computer is down . I am writing this from the public library and won't be able to add pics til later today when I get back home after I pic it up from Best Buy . The trip wasn't what we really hoped for but was fun none the less . The captain did his best to keep us on fish but the really big bass were pretty scarce . The dreaded horndogs seemed to be everywhere and I was surprised to see the number of smallish bluefish . Usually this time of year the blues average 10 lbs and up . What a shame that flounder season closed early this year . Some very nice fluke came over the rail . All we can do is hope for better weather on the next trip . The Jersey boats have been slamming the bigger bass much further offshore and if we can get that far out we should do the same . The wrecks we intended to fish are pretty much untouched this time of year and not too far from them are some proven tilefish grounds . Hopefully I'll be able to post a few pics when I get my computer back later today . Thanks for the report Bill .

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
A few more pics

Thought I'd post a few pics . Didn't take many . Pic of my friend Mark in the cabin with Jim Hensley . Couple pics of Mark with some flat ones . A pic of what my cooler looked like at the end of the trip . I really should have kept a few more bass but threw back some keepers thinking I'd go for the gusto :

·
Registered
556 Posts
Guys, I must say that it was totally brutal out there !!! 4-6' swells really really made the day tough. When even the captain of the boat barfs, you know it was bad !!!

The big waves also made jigging nearly impossible. Everytime the bow came up, it lifted mee jigs. And when the bow dropped, me jigs didn't drop as fast as the bow. That made for a big bow in the line.....meaning I couldn't feel the bites as the jig fluttered back down. Can you say aggravating ???

I still had fun fishing with everyone. Can't wait till the 3rd for the next trip !!!

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Guys, I must say that it was totally brutal out there !!! 4-6' swells really really made the day tough. When even the captain of the boat barfs, you know it was bad !!!

The big waves also made jigging nearly impossible. Everytime the bow came up, it lifted mee jigs. And when the bow dropped, me jigs didn't drop as fast as the bow. That made for a big bow in the line.....meaning I couldn't feel the bites as the jig fluttered back down. Can you say aggravating ???

I still had fun fishing with everyone. Can't wait till the 3rd for the next trip !!!
Quit beeattching ! You win the pool every time you go and all you can do is complain ?:confused::yes::D Try some bait next time Kenny Buoy !:D:yes::D We have 12 , I think for the next trip but the price is going to go up . Won't know til Monday what the new fare will be .

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Mike,

What's the deal on the next trip? Is it set for 1/3? Has it filled up yet?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts