Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday morning I killed a big 8 point (16 1/2 inches wide) standing in a field in Surry County. He was with a smaller buck and a doe and rutting hard. I dropped this deer using a H&R single barrel 20 gauge slug gun topped with a Leupold 3X9 scope and loaded with Hornady SST slugs. When I paced off the distance to where the deer dropped in his tracks it was 182 steps! I had practiced with this gun and can drive nails at 100 yards and the box of slugs says they shoot flat at 150 yards. I am here to tell you that this is a great low cost combination for shotgun only areas. I was due since the last really nice buck I killed was in 1992. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Hunting Deer hunting Smile Saw Hat

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Pretty deer! Congrats.:thumbup: I just ordered one from my pop. He has a gun shop up in NY. Is yours the heavy or the light? I ordered the light.

Don

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heavy Barrel

My gun is the heavy barrel and doesn't have the new Ultragon? rifling. I can only imagine the newer technology is better. I also did a bunch of research and determined the 20 gauge is the best choice for muzzle velocity and trajectory. The gun is heavy but I bought it that way to reduce recoil for my 11 year old son. My guess is the lighter gun will shoot equally as well. Good Luck.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Awesome shot I bought a H&R 20 gauge last year and have not shot it until my son dropped a small buck @ 60 yards with it Friday, He said the deer dropped in his tracks with the federal hollow pt passing thru, Those guns can flat out shoot

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Just came back from my dads gunshop in NY with mine. He couldn't get me the light in time so I got the heavy. It sure is a tack driver using the Hornady SST's!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The H&R 20's are AWESOME guns; I bought one for each of my son's and steal them every chance I get. They are both money at 150 yds. We ended up getting the best load out of the Core Lock Remington's. The Bull barrels are heavy but they are dead on.
NICE BUCK!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Speaking of.... my buddy just e-mailed me a picture of a 200 plus lb., 9-pointer he killed at 415 in Isle of Wight with what else; a H&R 20 shooting Hornaday sst's. For all of you that think the rut is over he was following a doe 80 yds. away and he hit the grunt call and brought him into 30yds.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great deer and great shot, I have an awesome story about the H and R. I have the 12 gauge and was picked to hunt a Golf Course here in DE for a management hunt. The place was over run with deer and had never been hunted "legally". The state employees picked us up drove us to our stands and there were about 5 guys in each truck all with their nice 870's, 1187's and Benelli's and they started to give me a hard time about my H and R. I told them the gun was dead on out to 100 yards and if you shoot good you only need that first shot. Well we all get to our stands and the state employees start doing deer drives at about 8-8:30 and then the action starts. I have a group of 25-30 does headed right to me, I pick out the biggest one and dropped her where she stood. This went on for about 2 hours with deer coming by me every 30-40 minutes at 75-90 yards.
I ended up dropping 4 mature does and the other guys that were giving me a hard time never fired a shot. They all came down the hill when the state truck came back and asked me how many times I shot and how many times I missed, I told them I shot 4x and dropped 4 deer, they were all amazed and then left me there with no help.
Had to drag out my deer to the road and wait for the truck to come back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts