Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent Brothers,
The Christmas bills are coming due and mounting up faster then my pay check, but; it's winter and I ALWAYS buy something new. You know, a CarrotStix here and a Lowrance HDS there. I just happened to be a local western wear store and saw this big, black $185 Tim McGraw Resistol brand cowboy hat. When I tried it on the salespeason said if I liked that hat I had better get it now because it was being discontinued. Seems both Stetson and Resistol have fallen on bad times and were taken over by the same holding company. Sad news indeed that such iconic brand names may go the way of the Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Plymouth and Mercury. The big black brim will certainly shade my sensitive skin from the sun and hide part of my ugly mug, but; is not what you would call the quintesential fishig hat. I'm perplexed and lack the tisticular fortitude to make the decision on my own. Just another sign of the Wimpification process I'm going through. Help me O-B-1, you're my only hope

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Sounds like anew look, SWMBO will not notice it. I couldn't pull off a cowboy hat. Now those 2 cowboys on Amazing Race last time looked good all over the world in theirs, perfectly natural.

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
Once SWMBO sees the bill - she'll bust out a few of your teeth.

Then you'll look the part of a true ******* cowboy.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Buy your wife some beautiful flowers for no special occasion then go treat yourself to the hat ......Heck while your at it, go ahead and buy her a hat as well ..then you'll have 2 :yes::thumbup:
save your receipt for 30 days
if the item happens to go on sale with in a certain time frame after you bought it you can take the hat back with the receipt and "re ring the hat and walk away with extra money in your pocket and the hat ...:wink44:

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Sorry, it's your fault, you made me repeat this old joke: you know what cowboy hats and hemorrhoids have in common, right? sooner or later every a*****e gets at least one or the other.:yes: No offense personally intended. I think you could carry it off.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
301 Posts
You must pay for everything in this world, one way and another. There is nothing free except the grace of God.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
301 Posts
...that's a quote from the movie you can use if SWMBO gets upset about the $185. see how that works out for you.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I live in my cowboy hat all winter long. It keeps the rain and snow from drippin down my neck when hunting, and my wife loves me in it. go for it just don't be a wimp and treat it like a pair of dress pants. Get it wet and use it!

good luck with the wife. No matter what i do, it's always wrong, so might as well fight aobut something you like!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eminent Brothers,
The reason I was in the western wear store in the first place was to get my old Billy Kidd (remember him anyone) buckskin leather Stetson resized. I got it back in my old Urban Cowboy days and either it shrunk or my head got bigger???? But in a rare instance of testicular forditude I actually went back there today and the only Tim McGraw they had left was way too big. They didn't have Rooster Cogburn eye patches either........so I went to Bass Pro. I may have found my next LTJ combo that I don't really need, but a BIG black $185 Tim McGraw Resistol wound have been nice.....and cheaper too

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Do like I used to do. Hide it for awhile and then when you get it out and she asked where you bought it twll her you've had for some time. Now I don't give a **** anymore and buy what I want when I want it. She knows where the door is if she doesn't like.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Far be it from me, a young redbeard, to offer advice to a grizzled graybeard, so please forgive me this minor faux pas.

I have two moderately expensive hobbies, fishing and rockcrawling. Here is kind of how it works for me and my wife. Purchases of a few hundred dollars, I make without prior mentioning to her. Purchases of a few thousand dollars, I make after informing her that I will be making the purchase. For example, "Last weekend, I got a little carried away with the throttle. I knew when the tires started smoking that I should let off, but I didn't. I'm buying a new set of tires for the jeep today." A caveat to this policy is that I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't pay cash for without consulting her first.

That being said, I did conduct a little pre-purchase-input experiment this fall when I was looking at binoculars. I picked out a set of Canons that were not quite $400. Obviously, $400 is reasonable for a pair of binoculars, but when I mentioned it to some of my non-fishing friends, they thought I was nuts. So I told my wife I was thinking about buying some binoculars and that I wanted her input. I showed her a set of Fujinons that were about $1200. She mumbled something about those being pretty expensive...the economy...mumble mumble. I agreed, then added that I had also been looking at another brand that weren't as nice, but would probably still be "ok." Long story short, I got the binoculars I wanted and my "fiscal responsibility" was greatly lauded.

I don't get the feeling that the first approach would work for you, given previous permission slip-related comments, but give the second a shot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts