Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked it up and got it stripped.... Hull is in good shape..... Transom needs a rebuild, needs new seats and probably will add a floor.... My first aluminum project so will be learning as I go.........

Attachments

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
With the ribs side to side water will be a problem for wood. You could paint the floor with bed liner and it will help seal the rivets. Then put a removable foam mat down on top. Old bar mats work great and can be cut in sections to be removed and power washed.

There is some foam board that Capt Dave sells for signage that might be a good choice. All cut edges would need to be sealed.. and it is light.

Just some ideas.
Capt Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Transom is glassed in.......... Plan to add two stringers on either side of the center and that should keep the plywood off the ribs..... As it is right now, there is no way the water that gets in, can drain properly to the back. Maybe I should drill some drain holes in the bottom of ribs in the center ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
No that would alter the structural integrity. That stuff Capt Dave used might work better and be lighter. .
I was hoping he would chime in here.

I did find this stuff and it has excellent reviews and never rots.
Core-Cell A550 Plain Foam Sheets from Jamestown
Would need to rivet down to supports and add some non slip..

Capt Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the starboard side stripped and sanded.... Came out very nice.. Recently found out it is a 1961 not a 1968. First year of production. External trim pieces are done and primed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
nice looking project.
be sure & check for leaks b4 you go much further.
hope it turns out well!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Boat looks great what did you seal the exterior with after sanding and buffing I have a 1971 Starcraft SF14 mine needs to be welded after neighbor's tree totaled it. also I have sheet metal brackets under the seats with foam blocks inside so boat will float if its ever swamped it also stiffens the seats so they wont bow when you sit on them. I also cut 2x8's at an angle in the to rest on the lower chine to make a platform from the front seat to the bow which has a battery box and storage compartments as well as works well for placing baskets while running a trot line.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No sealer... Just buff it up a couple times a year but you could put a clear coat on it but that would scratch and leave marks so I just left it alone. The original hull was painted off white when they made it back in '61.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts