Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advise, I bought a 175 Johnson and owner told me that he got the check engine light occasionally I get it as soon as I start boat hasn't made it in the water yet. I try running the boat on my portable tank to ensure that it is not the boats tank and I still get it. I understand that the check engine light means a fuel restriction; filter on front of engine is clean, portable tank still get it. Could it be the vacuum switch, bad gauge , fuel pump? Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
26,140 Posts
Sometimes a sensor can be quirky. It might be too sensitive and sending an alarm when there is no trouble.

Some require a reset - after alarm has sounded.

Other thing might be fuel line is bad on inside - especially if original. When E -10 came out - some hoses were eroded from inside and had to be replaced with E-10 safe fuel lines.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Do what a mechanic would do, check fuel pressure after fuel pump using a gauge, and seeing if it is within manufacturers spec's. Gauge is not expensive.

Until then you are just guessing.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Other thing might be fuel line is bad on inside
What Skip Said,

See it before. drove the guy nut trying to figure it out.

Capt Ted.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
The fact that it does it on an alternative fuel supply points to a bad vacuum switch or tachometer. Had to replace both on my 200

Removing the connector from the vacuum switch should silence the alarm. If it does not, look for a short in the tan/orange and black circuit in the engine and instrument harness. If nothing there, replace the tachometer

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry I can't give you advice but I have a 1987 service manual for 175hp engine. If you think it may cover your engine you are welcome to it. Send me a PM to arrange for pickup.

Don.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry I can't give you advice but I have a 1987 service manual for 175hp engine. If you think it may cover your engine you are welcome to it. Send me a PM to arrange for pickup.

Don.
Different engine. OMC changed the angle of the block in 91 or 92 to 60 degrees. Better fuel economy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts