Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My boat has been sitting since mid May or so. I started it once or twice with the muffs on during the summer and used star tron in the fuel system. I have a water seperator but not racon.

Anyway.... took the family out in DC the other day. First I started it at home with muffs and no problem turning over, reving or starting. It acted fine from what I could tell.

When I tried to get on plane it first behaved fine but just before it planed the engine would pause, almost completely loose all revs for a split second and then continue on where it left off. Once I was on plane, no problem at all. The speeds were the same as ever, RPM's the same etc. When I came off plane for a large cabin cruiser wake and went to get back on plane, the same thing happened. The pause would almost send me into the helm but it only last maybe a second and would do it a couple times in the ten seconds or so it takes to get my 22' cc power by a single Honda 130.

I put some sea foam in the water fuel seperator before I took the boat out today. The thought process was I would burn more conentrated sea foam in the water seperator first. I let my boat run for a good 20 minutes on the muffs earlier that day.

What I've heard it felt like was a prop slipping but the RPM's didn't go up, they just dissapeared momentarily. The more I made it work, the more it would happen but it would not happen when I was on plane at cruise speed or WOT.

Any ideas? Bad fuel filters? Bad fuel? I didn't see any water in the water seperator when I dumped the old fuel in it into a mason jar. But maybe a few small dirt particles.

Say I check my vapor seperator filter, how do I know anything is wrong with it when I check it? What will a good one look like? What will a dirty or malfunctioning one look like? It was changed a 1.5 years ago by a Honda mechanic BTW.

New plugs maybe 30 hours of run time ago.

I ran the boat for a while yesterday even though this hesitation was occurring. The more weight I had in the boat, the more frequent the problem would occur but only during planing. There would be no way of reproducing the problem on the muffs or at idle.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 2001 130 on a Maycraft in Virginia. If it sits for a month or longer it does the samething. They are very finicky with fuel and really like fresh fuel. I never had a problem until the ethanol fuels came, they just don't have any shelf life. Once I run some new fuel through it, it clears up.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been using ethenol fuel for over a year now and often let it sit for a month and never had this problem. It almost feels like it's something electrical the way the engine feels like it's stopping momentarily. It's sounds different when I'm giving it gas too.

I'll try some new fuel, thanks for the confidence.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have been having a "similar" issue on my 90 Honda. Starts fine, runs fine until I stop to fish etc. Restarts, but hesitates, stumbles and sometime stalls when accelerating to plane. The problem resolves by pumping the bulb a bit. But it is not loosing prime. Verified this by using a portable tank/bulb.

Been to the shop and it still does it!! Mechanic now "thinks" it could be the good old carb jets$$$$. I'm not convinced and currently live with it.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried new fuel in the tank, replaced the water seperator with a racon with a clear bowl, replaced the white filter inside the engine cover, and I still have this problem.

Basically when I try to get on plane, the engine hesitates significantly. once I'm on plane going 5,000+ RPM's even, the boat runs fine. It idles fine too.

Sometimes I've noticed the bulb would loose some pressure after the engine had not been run in a hour or so.

I've run the engine for a good 2 or 3 hours on plane and slow speed with the new fuel and I still have this hesitation problem while under load but not on plane. Any other suggestions?

I have a code reader I bought from an auto parts store. The connection looks like a serial port but I can't find in my manual or under my hood where the code reader connects to the engine? Any thoughts?

Anyone know of any Honda mechanics that don't have a 2 week wait for service right now?

·
Registered
993 Posts
First question is has the vapor separation tank been serviced since the engine was new.

The symptom sounds like water in the fuel and with ethanol the water is not visible until it sits in a jar for a while. The other thing I would look at is the anti-siphon valve at the top of your tank. It doesn't sound like a major issue.

I've also cleared issues like that by putting about five ounces of startron directly into the Racor and letting it idle for a few minutes and then take it out and run it hard. It save me alot of carb tear downs and mechanic fees. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the Vapor seperator tank has been serviced since new. I've looked at some part diagrams and it looks like my 1999 fuel system is now the 2003 system. It was a recall and honda took care of it a few years ago for me, free of charge even though I was the second owner of the engine. Top notch customer service right there.

I'll try star tron directly in the racon. I did that last year with sea foam and it didn't make a difference. I'm thinking I have a problem with my fuel line somehwere or my fuel pump. But why does my engine run fine at full speed?

The other problem I noticed was when I pumped the fuel from the bulb, with the engine tilted up, fuel leaks out of the engine. I had to take off the extention case cover to see where it was coming from and it was coming from an over flow pipe leading from the suspension strainer that is located directly above the vapor seperator.

This doesn't happen all the time but it did when I pumped the bulb when the engine was cold. The fuel leaked out the hose where it says "F-9" in the diagram below.

Honda Outboard Parts 2003 BF130A3 LA MARINE ENGINE, JPN, VIN# BZBE-1400001 TO BZBE-1499999 FUEL PIPE Diagram

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've tried new fuel in the tank, replaced the water seperator with a racon with a clear bowl, replaced the white filter inside the engine cover, and I still have this problem.

Basically when I try to get on plane, the engine hesitates significantly. once I'm on plane going 5,000+ RPM's even, the boat runs fine. It idles fine too.

Sometimes I've noticed the bulb would loose some pressure after the engine had not been run in a hour or so.

I've run the engine for a good 2 or 3 hours on plane and slow speed with the new fuel and I still have this hesitation problem while under load but not on plane. Any other suggestions?

I have a code reader I bought from an auto parts store. The connection looks like a serial port but I can't find in my manual or under my hood where the code reader connects to the engine? Any thoughts?

Anyone know of any Honda mechanics that don't have a 2 week wait for service right now?
Try Chirs at 757-338-1129 (Suffolk) he does work at his house or yours for $75 an hour. I have a 2002 115hp Honda. When I pulled my cowl off the engine he noticed two recalls that had not been installed. I believe one was fuel line to the onboard filter under the cowl, and fuel rails to the injectors. Also a relay on the engine that had a recall. After further review I found out that the dealer I purchased the boat, motor, and trailer from in NC never registered the motor in my name through Honda. That's why I never got the recall notice's. All the above work was done for no charge. He did however adjust my shifting linkage, idle, and change the lower unit gear oil for $75.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed fuel is leaking from the hose leading from the suspention strainer even with the engine tilted down.

I called a honda mechanic and talked to him about this problem. He said there is a ball and pin system within the VST that is probably stuck or not working properly and needs to be serviced. But every diagram I've seen I can't see any ball and pin inside the VST. There's a $200 pump inside one but no ball and pin from what I can tell.

·
Registered
185 Posts
130 honda problems

it seems to me that you have electrical/computer problems if you are completly loosing rpms such as a dead miss.... if the engine was popping or "sneezing" i would say it is fuel problems.... just my 2 cents.... being a Marine Mech.Institute student..... maybe throttle valve sensor or rpm sensor both sensor let computer know how much fuel to feed engine at a givin rpm

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took it to a local mechanic that I don't know too well. They specialize in performance type cigarette type boats but have Honda certified mechanics on site and are close to my house, which is still 30 miles from the closest deep water ramp.

They noticed the problem with the fuel leaking from the hose leading from the suspension strainer leading from the Vapor Seperator. They also said there was a ball and pin type sytem in there that is probably sticking. (Bottom scratcher said the exact same thing.) They said Honda sells a rebuild kit for the VST for ~$130.

Plus they did a fuel pressure test and found a problem with the low pressure fuel pump. They said they would need to fix both then try the engine in the water before they tried anything else.

I asked them what the code reader said. They said code readers were not that advanced in 1999 and it wouldn't be that helpful. That comment had me worried because in the past, I've taken my boat to a proper Honda dealer and they instantly found minor electrical problems like MAP sensors with the use of the code reader.

The latest mechanic said most fuel problems wouldn't show up on the code reader anyway.

Next issue: They said low pressure fuel pump was $190. I found it online for $130. IT looks pretty staight forward to change. Two bolts, o ring, hose connections. But I order through a whole sailer that orders it from Honda. It would take probably 10 days. The mechanic said 3 days for the part.

HOW DO I ORDER HONDA PARTS easier/quicker? I was using www . boats . n e t

Thanks for letting me rant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts