Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little premature but I wanted to let you know of an upcoming kayak festival & expo to be held June 5, 2010, in Kilmarnock VA. Mark your calanders. Kilmarnock is located in rural Lancaster County which is in the northern most penninsula of VA. Central location to southern Maryland, northern VA, Va Beach, and Richmond. The event will be held on Indian Creek which offers direct access to the bay. This is a first annual event to include a morning kayak fishing tournament, then a mid day kayak poker run, and a kayak sailing regatta (hobie enthusiasts). In between those, we will have vendors, exhibits, and demonstrations on various aspects of the kayaking world. Many familiar names and faces will be there. Not all details have been finalized as of today, but we can expect the fishing tournament to have at least two longest fish categories (striper & croaker), and a bonus category for speckled trout. Optional photo entry. The timing of the event is great for keeper striper season and croaker. I have fished this area for a few years now and know that the location is great for the fishing tournament. The poker run and regatta should be a lot of fun with a nice course staked out and prizes. If you are interested, stay tuned. I will post many details as soon as they are finalized in the upcoming weeks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not any real close but I think there are a couple within 30 minute drive. I may have some more details on camping soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
any idea what the boudaries would be for the tournament? i make it down to dividing creek occasionally and know where behemoth croaker live...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sonds like a Great idea Marstang I'll be there. Belle Isle state park has camping I believe and can't be more than 20 miles from Kilmarnock. Keep us updated on any news.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any idea what the boudaries would be for the tournament? i make it down to dividing creek occasionally and know where behemoth croaker live...
When I post up the official rules with all the details, it will be alot clearer. I plan to include maps and so on. As a brief answer, the launch will be on Indian Creek. From there you can paddle to fish wherever you want. The bay isnt that far from the launch, im guessing 1.5 miles. There is a lot of fishy spots around there! The fishing tournament should last about 4-5 hours. I will be adding links and documents shortly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bump...
Im pretty sure camping will be available on site of the event. Looks like the event is shaping up nicely with prizes, demonstrations, vendors, and so on.. Direct any questions you have to the number or email address on the above link. Hope to see some folks out there!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
additional info

article from Rappahannock Record May 6,2010

"Rotary plans kayak festival

The Kilmarnock-Irvington-White Stone Rotary Club and platinum sponsor The Sports Centre have planned three competitive kayaking events at Camp Kekoka on Boys Camp Road in Kilmarnock June 5.

Chesapeake Bank sponsors the first event of the day, the kayak fishing tournament. A kayak poker run, sponsored by Northern Neck State Bank will begin mid-day, and Hubbard, Terry & Britt of Irvington have made possible an afternoon kayak sailing regatta featuring the Hobie Adventure Island.

Prizes for the fishing tourney include a fishing expedition in the Northern Neck donated by Carroll Webb, an Okuma Steeler Premium Spinning Combo donated by RW's Sporting Goods, and a kayak fishing DVD and book by anglers Kayak Kevin and Cory Routh, donated by the authors.

The Poker Run prizes include a personal floatation device donated by West Marine and meals at local restaurants. Captains' bags for the fishing tourney and sailing regatta are provided by West Marine.

For those who want to learn more about kayaking, experts will demonstrate the Eskimo roll, rigging a kayak for fishing, and the newest paddle craze, stand-up boards.

There will be a raffle for a Pelican kayak donated by the Sports Centre, a round of golf for four donated by the Tides Inn, a night's stay at the Lancaster Tavern and other prizes donated by local businesses.

Call 804-435-6160, or visit kiwsrotary.org for participant applications. Pre-registration discounts end May 15.
"

·
Registered
302 Posts
A little north in Northumberland County, there is the Great Wicomico Campground (phone 804.453-3351) and the Glebe Point Campground (phone 804.435.3440) north of Wicomico Church. They are both around 14 miles from the Chesapeake Boat Basin, about the same distance as Belle Isle State Park. HOWEVER, there is a fishing pier less than a mile away next to the Rt. 200 Bridge on the Great Wicomico River where you can fish on Sunday before you leave, and even a sandy beach to launch your 'yak if you want to.

Marstang, we can't have ALL the business go to Lancaster!

-makoman

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
10-4 makoman, I hear ya, I hear ya... Im not 100% sure, but I think camping is available at the event site. There is a name and number on the registration form that people could call to ask.

Rules and regs for the tournament are available and I think they will be added to the link very soon. Three categories: rockfish, croaker, and flounder. 1st and 2nd place prizes for each.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts