Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st Crappie.jpg

Caught my 1st Crappie today. I've usually posted on Chesapeake Forums for saltwater fish but this winter I looked at this forum and Crappie.com and got a desire to go after these guys. Had a blast.

I usually fish out of my Robabo 22' but I have had a jon boat since i was 12 yrs old and decided i would try for some other fish up the creeks (Piscataway today). I live on the Rapp down near Garretts and usualy fish saltwater in the lower Rapp, Potomac & the Chesapeake Bay but I felt I was missing some other species.

I think I caught it by mistake as it hit right next to the boat as I was going to change out a flavored bite on the bobber rig I was using but what the heck. I tried casting and bobber rigs and the bobber rig with a chartreuse grub worked.

Got a lot to learn but it was nice to catch this 1st 12" fish

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Nice catch MuddyGut. That's great in that it was your first time fishing for crappie and you caught a nice one. "I think I caught it by mistake as it hit right next to the boat as I was going to change out a flavored bite on the bobber rig I was using but what the heck. I tried casting and bobber rigs and the bobber rig with a chartreuse grub worked. " There are days when we fish a minnow under a bobber with a slip knot and not a nibble. We found that they sometimes want the bait moving. More flash I would guess; so we crank the bobber back to the boat real slow. We usually fish the bait down inside the brush but if we are going to crank the bait slowly back in we make sure we adjust the bait so it is above the tallest part of the brush.

Acey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts