Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the 1st island for the first time today and caught two togs 16 1/2 & 17 1/2". It was only my 2nd time fishing for togs, so I can't really say if the bite was good or bad, but I did see others catch some. A couple I saw were 20" plus. I caught mine with fresh shrimp

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only bites I got were on shrimp. I took clam and frozen fiddlers I had left over as well, but got no bites with either. Last fall, I saw a guy catching them with shrimp at Kipto and he said it was a good bait when the tog first start biting because they like soft baits then. There was one boat yesterday that caught quite a few and they were using shrimp as well. The stomachs of the two fish I caught were full of what looked like tiny stick worms, a little vegetation and tiny mussels, but mostly the worms. I caught an old encrusted rod & reel and it was covered with those same worms, so there may be something to that theory, but I do think the largest fish I saw caught were on blue crab or clam & crab combo.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmm, never heard of using shrimp for tog. I'll bring some next time out and give it a try. Wish someone could come up with a FishBite for tog that worked. It sure would help with those bait thieving fish.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
thanks rwh for the info on shrimp, wish I saw your post before I went out today. We had 3 bites and did not bring any in. We saw one boat at the pilings next to us and 2 people caught their limit. Saw a couple other boats catch a few togs.

We used live fiddlers on tog rig, slow moving current, 48 degree water, we were between the forth island and hi rise. We saw a lot of boats out over the tubes and along the pilings.

Hi tide was supposed to be at 3 pm, we left lynnhaven at 10:15 (low tide 0930), run into 8 - 10 knot N to NE wind, cold water , current slowed down around 11, and at 1 the current picked up and it was hard to hold bottom with 8 oz sinker, gave up and wen in to watch the rest of the masters.

Next time I will bring some shrimp. RWH, heads on or off, small or large shrimp?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought medium shrimp from the seafood market, like the size you get when you eat them steamed at the restaurants. I bought them with the heads on and was using them like that at first, but the current starts to pull the head off after a few drops and I missed a few bites like that, so I started taking the head off and throwing it in as chum. I was threading the whole shrimp on a 3/0 hook, but the other people I saw catching with shrimp were using halves and still catching them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts