Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...when do the grass beds really get going and thick on the Flats? I've fished surrounding areas and from the bank but nothing yet serious on the Flats in my jon...until this year. Just looking ahaead to plan my year and trips.

Thanks for any hints and tips!

·
Registered
387 Posts
The grass beds really don't thickin up till summer.
But we may have some new structure to fish on the flats, there is a sailboat hard aground on the northern end in front of Furness bay. It may be the same boat that was iced in sitting in the middle of the Northeast River for awhile. It was taking a pounding out there yesterday.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
The grass will begin to thicken in April & become like a solid "blob" by early/mid june. If you are looking for Carp, them fat suckers seem to invade the flats in early/mid April in huge numbers. If you can catch them when they are spawnig, it would be one hell of a trip out there. Just at dusk, you can see them jumping 3/4 out of the water clear across the expanse of the flats.

When the grass gets "blob like" the flats become a crystal clear aquarium. You can see the big ole carp just sitting on the bottom in the pot hole areas, some of them look to be 30-40#s down there. Dammed if I could catch one.....

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I cast at a rainbow once with everything I had on me and swore from that day forward...If I can see it I can't catch...I've learned slightly to the contrary of that since then but still fish by that rule (around here)..

BTW....Does a 16' lowe big jon sound too small for the flats ??

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
16' is OK if you pick your days.

boat wakes can be bad up when they wash up into the shallow water.

also, you can make a lot of noise in an aluminum boat and silence is essential in the shallows!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
16' better be ok cause thats what I have w/20hp Merc; but its a Alumaweld jon with high sides and transom. Still, calmer days are the best...have got caught out at Love Point when the winds kicked up and it was straight to a creek to ease the gear and my stomach. Jees! I think I'll be ok. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I had that happen once off BGE in mine...it's a little spooky when the transom dunks..thanks for the info !! I'd love to make it up there for once to give it a try..

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
If y'all really want to have some fun, I hear snorkelling around out there in the summer when the water is gin clear is way cool, you can go under the floating beds and see all kinds of stuff. I plan to try it this year. Oh yeah, on a flat still evening that is plenty of boat. I went all over in a 16' v-hull tin boat.
Pat in Joppa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts