Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Reg is a little funny this year, at least to me. Let's say I catch one 22, and then a 29. Good to go, one may be over 28. However, let's assume (naming no names) that I catch the 29 first, and then nothing under that. Per regs, "nothing over 28", but "one of the two" may be be over 28; if you don't have two, are you in violation? Guess you could always say you just haven't caught the second one yet :) you have all day to do it. And is that 24 hr date day, or 24 hrs between every two fish?
Based on last year, we would have kept one fish all season :-(

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The law reads:

"D. The maximum size limit for this fishery shall be 28 inches total length; however, the maximum size limit shall only apply to one fish of the possession limit."

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
While I think most are in agreement of what WOULD normally make good sense , Getaway and Cbolt are correct. These laws/regs are written where they could be interpreted in another way.

A person could say, If you harvest 1 fish, the 28" max size applies to that (one) fish.
( I would hope that person is not the one that enforces rules but you never know!)

limit 2 fish in possession .
20" min. size limit.
No upper limit on 1 fish-- 28" upper limit on 2nd fish.
Sound correct?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
edit out, because I can't find old rule one captain could not understand.
thanks Tom! :thumbup:

He would make sure the smaller fish was on board before allowing anyone to keep bigger one .

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
IMO the laws, in this case are pretty unambiguous. No mention of order of catch or prohibiting the possession of only one fish above 28 inches.

To find old versions of regulations you have to go to the Virginia Registry web page. I searched on the word Striped.

http://register.dls.virginia.gov/

Here is how it was changed Vol28 issue 25. Aug 2012.

D. The maximum size limit for this fishery shall be 28 inches total length, ; however, the maximum size limit shall only apply to one fish of the possession limit.

Prior to that it said

D. The maximum size limit for this fishery shall be 28 inches total length, except as in subsection F of this section

E. The possession limit for this fishery shall be two fish per person.

F. The possession limits described in subsection E of this section may consist of only one striped bass 34 Inches or greater.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts