Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor this time. He had never hunted or killed a deer with the bow. While we were skinning the one I killed last night he asked if he could shoot my Parker a few times and did surprisingly well. We decided that he would hold shoot and I would film this afternoon. Well, it worked out that I couldn't get the shot on film but the Parker with the new guy behind the release did the job. David had only shot about 2 dozen arrows and did a perfect job. He shot about 20 times last night and 4 that were on or very near this afternoon.

To make a long story a little shorter we got up the tree around six this afternoon on a small plot a little further from the house than the one I killed my doe in yesterday. Just before dark a smallish 6 point and two does came to feed.

End result, we will feed on one of the does. He made a perfect behind the shoulder shot at 28 yards. I ranged her at 28 and he held the 30 yard pin dead on and she only went 50 yards and the rest will be Barbee history.

With the way the luck has been its too bad I won't be able to try again until Monday afternoon, my little brother is chewing my a$$ for not being at the shop to help work on the Mud Bog truck to get ready for this weekend.

DEAN

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Looks like everyone was right. The new law has these slob hunters thinking they they can sling a few arrows one night and go hunting.

You make me sick.

Dayton

·
Banned
859 Posts
Perhaps I'm wrong here and htis is an inside joke, but if not, Ranger your way out of line. If you have an issue with people not taking deer the "Traditonal" way than you need to start keeping your nose on your side of the fence. Your like that one neighbor in the neighborhood that has to call the county everytime someone pulls out a shovel or parks a hair too close to the line. Our job is to kill deer, PERIOD!!! The way I look at it is, this fellow that killed the deer effectively with that crossbow, might not of been able to do so with a compound, but may have tried and ended up wounding the deer. To me, it's about the most effective, least painful, most humane way to harvest these animals to cull the herds. This one done in the above case, the guy enjoyed it, will enjoy the meat, and it looks like we got a new member to the hunting society, which means more support when we need it the most. You want to shot deer your way, that's fine....I want to see pics of your long bow you made out of a sapling, and the arrows spun from some branches. Would also like to see the arrowheads you chisled out of rocks and the string from a pig guts. If you can't produce it, than your no better than the guys your jabbing. These comments seems the norm from you, be it turkey hunting, or ducks, now crossbows. Take it somewhere else, you add nothing here worthy of reading and are one of tyhe reasons I stop coming here. If I'm wrong and the above is a joke, please disregard and accept my appology.
Thanks, Chris.[smile]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I agree Chris.

Please, just wait, I was hoping to be blasted by Dean first. You will see that he knows I am yanking his chain. As a matter of fact, he needs to get off the board and mud-bogging and tie me up some 1/64 and 1/32 Hair Crappie Mojos!

I left out the smiley, 'cause Ketch will get the joke. When I run my mouth about turkey hunting, I am trying to get a rise out of Rapprunner (my brother-in-law). You know, sleep late, get out of truck, call, turkey answers, you set down, call, turkey walks to you, you kill it. Simple.

I am one of the few here that are okay with crossbows. I hope to shoot a deer with one soon, but I will have to borrow the bow.

You don't have to apologize to me, I like to stir it up. Hell, I didn't get banned from BassBoatCentral for nothing! Those guys hate a Dale Sr joke.

Dayton

·
Registered
339 Posts
[Q]RANGER690 originally wrote:
I agree Chris.

Please, just wait, I was hoping to be blasted by Dean first. You will see that he knows I am yanking his chain. As a matter of fact, he needs to get off the board and mud-bogging and tie me up some 1/64 and 1/32 Hair Crappie Mojos!

I left out the smiley, 'cause Ketch will get the joke. When I run my mouth about turkey hunting, I am trying to get a rise out of Rapprunner (my brother-in-law). You know, sleep late, get out of truck, call, turkey answers, you set down, call, turkey walks to you, you kill it. Simple.

I am one of the few here that are okay with crossbows. I hope to shoot a deer with one soon, but I will have to borrow the bow.

You don't have to apologize to me, I like to stir it up. Hell, I didn't get banned from BassBoatCentral for nothing! Those guys hate a Dale Sr joke.

Dayton
[/Q]

[grin] I want to bag one with the crossbow myself, cause up to now I have taken deer with the shotgun, the rifle , the bow, the muzzleloader, the slug gun and even a pistol. Need that crossbow kill! [grin][grin][grin].
And Ranger, if turkey hunting is so dang blamed simple why don't you come show me how it's done![grin] There you go---you got a rise![grin][grin][grin].

Rapprunner

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Yelp. Yelp. Yelp.

Gobble. (ie: I am here. Here I come!)

Yelp.

Gobble. (right here. running at you now!)

Bang!

Flop. Flop. Dead.

Dayton[grin][grin][grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I really like Dupont, but don't have any opinion on Jeff. I just poke fun every now and then. Those "In Loving Memory" sticker really give me a Hoot!

Dayton

·
Registered
61 Posts
If these damn deer keep out in the 50-60 yard range, I'm gonna need a crossbow too, with a scope. [tongue]

I can stick a Muzzy in a pie plate at 50 yards now, pretty regularly with my compound, but 60 yards, I don't think so.....

Going out tomorrow morning to still hunt the edge of the woodline that faces where these does keep traversing along the edge of the cornfield. That will bring me into 30 yards, but greaten the chance of getting busted.

If I had my Omega, I would have had does at the butcher by now..... [sad]

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

·
Registered
72 Posts
[Q]Durado originally wrote:
Perhaps I'm wrong here and htis is an inside joke, but if not, Ranger your way out of line. If you have an issue with people not taking deer the "Traditonal" way than you need to start keeping your nose on your side of the fence. Your like that one neighbor in the neighborhood that has to call the county everytime someone pulls out a shovel or parks a hair too close to the line. Our job is to kill deer, PERIOD!!! The way I look at it is, this fellow that killed the deer effectively with that crossbow, might not of been able to do so with a compound, but may have tried and ended up wounding the deer. To me, it's about the most effective, least painful, most humane way to harvest these animals to cull the herds. This one done in the above case, the guy enjoyed it, will enjoy the meat, and it looks like we got a new member to the hunting society, which means more support when we need it the most. You want to shot deer your way, that's fine....I want to see pics of your long bow you made out of a sapling, and the arrows spun from some branches. Would also like to see the arrowheads you chisled out of rocks and the string from a pig guts. If you can't produce it, than your no better than the guys your jabbing. These comments seems the norm from you, be it turkey hunting, or ducks, now crossbows. Take it somewhere else, you add nothing here worthy of reading and are one of tyhe reasons I stop coming here. If I'm wrong and the above is a joke, please disregard and accept my appology.
Thanks, Chris.[smile]
[/Q]

Durado I would usaully agree with the coment to Ranger, BUT the crossbow thingbugs the SH** out out of me. If a person is unable to pull and regular bow (my fatherbeing on that list due to shoulder surgery) I have no objection to that but to let Joe Dumba$$ get a couple of quick rounds in and think That he can hunt HUMANLY and kil a deer with undo pain and suffering is Horse sh**. I spent the last 18 years learning THE ART OF BOW HUNTING shooting from MAy until hunting season and thru up.

The only thing the state did was make it easier for the nighthunters to take the bigger deer before the rest of us have a chance to take them legally. By the the way the string of the native Indians bows were from the senu of DEER and ELK.

I don't have a problem with the end result of this hunt but I would have to believe that this is the exception to the rule.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The state may just be the big problem, if there is a problem. They caved in to the manufacturers so they could make more money.
Then the state gets licence fees, now they're happy. Then more deer are killed and the insurance people are happy.

·
Banned
859 Posts
.....I respect your opinion regarding the art of bow hunting. But looking at the big picture....is it really any of your business? With all due respect.

....as well, hunting at night is illegal, period. I do not think "Outlawers" were waiting for the legalization of crossbows before they used them in the "Spotlight". That actually mad me chuckle a bit. Thanks!
Chris,[smile]

·
Registered
770 Posts
I was also wandering how the state made it easier for nighthunters legalizing crossbows.
They have been making crossbows for a long time and shooting a deer at night illegally could had already been done with the crossbow before.I don't think the poacher was waiting for them to be legal.

What is screwed up is someone wanting to hunt with a crossbow and regular bow has to buy two lic.,one for each type of bow.You can't use but one at a time.A bow lic. should be for either bow if you ask me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts