Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kicking around the idea of a new boat. I have a Trophy 18' walkaround that handles the upper bay just fine, big enough cabin to sleep in and nice and light to trailer...but an extra 2 feet would be nice. :D

Looking at the following boats, Cobia 210WA, Hydrasports 212WA, Proline 210Walk, Sailfish 218WA, SeaHunt 215WA, and Trophy 2002WA. Looking at anything less the 5yrs old or new 2005/2006 leftovers. Definitely want an outboard and it the v-berth bed must be big enough to sleep someone 6' tall.

Anyone have any input on these boats or others in this tier/price range???

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats tight for a 21 ft boat, you would have a more comfortable cabin in a 25 ft and still be trailerable
Right now we're towing with a 4dr Dakota which has a rating of 6850lbs so I don't want to go over 5K lbs boat/trailer/fuel/gear which is why 20-21 is sorta the limit. We fit well in the 18' but the size of the cabin takes away from storage...and her head is a little close to mine when she starts snoring. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Might be out of your price range but Grady White has some of the better cabin layouts in the 21-23' range.They are marketed to the family that fishes so the cabins are well laid out.Try a local broker-tell him your price range and what you are looking for-they'll find everything out there quick. Skip

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Seaswirl 21.5 and love it. Cabin is large, good headroom and berths are deep. It's a great Bay boat.
Yea, I forgot about Seaswirl. They had the only other 18' WA that was big enough for me to lay down.

I found 1 used GW and it was still $10K - $15K more then some of the new boats I'm looking into. As much as I'd like a boat of that caliber, it's not going to happen right now...actually what I really want to a Parker pilothouse :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
E

Ive got the Trophty 2002w/a. Its an 03. Bought it used with a Merc 125, which is ok, but can only reach 34mph loaded. One of the fish boxes in the floor fills with water all of the time. V-berth is fine for your size and great for the kids to lay around in. Runs good in the slop. Layout of helm is decent as well. I have had no problems and alot of use over two seasons. The used price, I couldnt refuse, good size for the family and tows great with an expedition. The only cons are what is above. I crab, fish and pull the kids around. Of course I have the 2' itis, but I would like to carry more on board on those family and friend days. Good fit for four guys fishing.

Good luck

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, keep it rolling!

Went out over the weekend and scratched the Proline and Sea Hunt of the list due to lack of cabin space. Found a few leftover Trophy 20 footers, '05 and '06 with different motors.

My wife is really pushing for one with a 20' with a hardtop and I'm not even convinced we should go bigger :confused:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
As an owner of a 21' boat, I'd seriously consider jumping from your 18 to a 23 or 24'er. I don't think it would take you too long to wish you did.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a Wellcraft Excel 230 which is actually 24'1" long counting the pulpit (I don't, Wellcraft did). It pulls OK with my jeep cherokee & has plenty of room for me to lay out in the V-berth, plus it has a seperate vacu-flush head with holding tank & dockside or overboard discharge.

I bought the boat this winter. I coulda bought a newer one (this one is a 97) but I actually liked the amount of cockpit room in the older models better then the new ones. After I saved near 40K over the cost of a 2006, I bought a full electronics package, had a custom hardtop with enclosure built for it, put on a set of Lee outriggers & was still ahead 20 thousand. Wound up with a trailerable boat that is exactly what I wanted & it fishes 4 guys comfortably in 3'-5' seas. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Might be out of your price range but Grady White has some of the better cabin layouts in the 21-23' range.They are marketed to the family that fishes so the cabins are well laid out.Try a local broker-tell him your price range and what you are looking for-they'll find everything out there quick. Skip
The Gradys are pricey. Two years ago I bought a new 23' Sea Fox walk-around. I love it, but have yet to spend a night aboard. A year ago, just for curiosity sake, I compared the prices of the 23' WA's from Sea Fox and Grady. Comparable equipment, same HP 4-strokes (SF had Suzuki, Grady had Yamaha). SF = 34,000 Grady = 68,000.

It is said that you get what you pay for, but for my use the Grady just is not worth the extra 34,000.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Make sure whatever you buy meets your needs, budget, and fits in your driveway. We all know someone who owns more boat than wallet and spends too much time working rather than fishing. By the way, I wish my wife would push me to get a bigger boat!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What kind of motor, hours and price would you sell your 18 ft www wa for?
It's an '05 Trophy 1802 WA with a Merc 125 Saltwater series. 25hrs on it, purchased new as a leftover in March of '06. With the options and trailer NADA is around $21,000. I was selling it for $19,500

Make sure whatever you buy meets your needs, budget, and fits in your driveway. We all know someone who owns more boat than wallet and spends too much time working rather than fishing. By the way, I wish my wife would push me to get a bigger boat!
We've decided to just keep the 18' for now. It's big enough for my wife and I to sleep on board, light to trailer, squeezes nicely into the side yard and enough room for 3 guys to fish. We had it out in some crummy weather and it handled just fine. I think we're going to wait a few years and then move up. My wife was really just pushing for something with a table in the cabin and a hardtop...I don't understand the hardtop part, she yelled at me everytime I put the bimini up because it blocked the sun, women :rolleyes:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know where a year old 23' Trophy Pro is sitting only 3-4 trips on it . the fellow has cancer and wants to sell to get out of the loan.(probaly get it for payoff) . It will take some clean up from sitting in his yard. but you might get a good deal on it. 150 Merc ,D-finder, Hardtop ,gps. In richmond. Give me a call and Ill try to get you hooked up with him.
bruce 804-627-2493

1 - 20 of 22 Posts