Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Tog Report
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
6 December 2008<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Saturday was a late day since the crew was out late the night before. So, we all finally made it to my boat and pulled out of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Fishing</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Center</st1:placeType></st1:place> by 11am. My crew consisted of an all-star cast of wreck experts: CAPT Skipper Feller, CAPT Darren Foster, and Sean Doran. With the forecast all over the place, it was a good choice to start a little late anyway. We pointed my boat to the east, and headed out towards some inshore wrecks with a little togging on our minds. Our agenda was to catch a few tog, and hope for citation #4 for Skip.
With Skip at the helm, we came upon some beehives of birds and hoards of bait, so we threw out some Stretches and Darren dropped a jig. Nada. We finally spotted the cause of all the commotion when a huge whale busted and rolled several times. A cool sight but not worth our time, so we continued on.
We came up on our first wreck, and Skip had us drop some bait to see if there was a quick bite. I got hung up on the first drop, re-rigged, and dropped again&#8230;and bam&#8230;6-pound tog in the boat. So we anchored up and tried for awhile with only a few keeper seabass to show. In the middle of all this, my shift cable broke. :eek2: Great, just one more thing to repair. Ok, we had to take the lid off the port engine to go forward manually, but we managed. After about an hour, we decided to move to another wreck.
So Skip took us a few more miles to one of his little hangs, and again we dropped to check it out. Another 6-pounder took Sean's bait, so we anchored up and settled in. We missed a few bites, and decided to downsize our bait size. That was the trick, with a few decent tog taking well to the adjustment. The first big tog was Sean's. His rod doubled over, and I netted his 12-pound, 3-ounce brute, which ended up being the biggest fish of the day. I got my bait back in the water after netting Sean's fish, just in time to notice Skip engaging in a serious tug-of-war towards the bow. This time Sean did the honors, with Skip's fourth citation for the year, a 10lb, 15oz stud (ok, almost 11-pounds anyway). Skip's tog was barely in the cooler, when I said "Don't anyone go anywhere, I want a pic of all of 3 of us holding our big togs"&#8230;.I was in the middle of hoisting up my citation tog, an 11lb, 2oz rod-bender. Darren took a pic of the three of us posing with our big fish. Unfortunately, I had a malfunction while downloading the pics, and accidentally erased them! Darn. Too bad, it was a cool pic! (Sorry Skip, we'll get another one for your Mom!) :wacko:
We continued to pull in a total of 20 respectable keeper-sized tautog, with the rest of them pushing up to 9-pounds. We ended up keeping 8 or 9 tog and half a dozen seabass. The water was about 70-80 feet deep, and the water temperature was 51 degrees. The wind was NE at 10-15, and then shifted from the East late in the afternoon. We pulled in after dark, and we scrambled to get Darren and Sean off to catch the tide at the high-rise, while I rushed off to get to Ben's Birthday party. Happy Birthday, Ben! :D
<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mission</st1:place></st1:City> Accomplished&#8230;congrats on #4 Skip! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Thanks for yet another great fishing story/report! :thumbup: Those are some monster tog! Too bad about the pics though.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Dear Dr. Ball, you wrote about the whale encounter as though you weren't all that much concerned. When a whale breaches can't it overturn a boat? The time a whale was in IRI, De. it jumped and rolled directly in front of two older guys in a 17 ft boat. They were scared to the max. I was also in the inlet and I frooze, put the boat in neutral and just shook!!! It's curious that you were not scared. Good Luck, Bob

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Hippie,

I suppose it's all about how big an area you're in, and how far away the whale is.

Here's a pic I took a couple of weeks ago about 1/4 mile from Cape Lookout Light. Certainly the biggest whale I've seen that close to shore. I haven't been able to ID it.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
^^^^^^

Don't know about you, but THAT would have scared the __it out of me. I guess excited and scared at the same time.

As far as Dr. Ball, she has probably seen more whales than some of us ever will.

-JB

·
Registered
562 Posts
Dr. Ball,

YOUR PHOTO'S ARE NOT LOST.

Go online and purchase a program from STELLAR PHOENIX CALLED DATA RECOVERY 3.0 It will let you recover lost files from any source including Flash Drives and SD Cards.

It will let you see if they are still on your card before you purchase.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Dear Dr. Ball, you wrote about the whale encounter as though you weren't all that much concerned. When a whale breaches can't it overturn a boat? The time a whale was in IRI, De. it jumped and rolled directly in front of two older guys in a 17 ft boat. They were scared to the max. I was also in the inlet and I frooze, put the boat in neutral and just shook!!! It's curious that you were not scared. Good Luck, Bob
Reading some Melville are we?:D I'd like to see those blackfish pictures myself, its a good thing tog don't bite real good in Jul-Aug, then I'd really be upset about the camera malfunction.:yes:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Even without pics stiil jealous and impressed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts