Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a used boat, 2001 Ranger 2180 Bay Boat with a 2000 Mercury 225 Optimax. Are there any comments anyone can share whether negative or positive about this motor and/or this boat? Motor looks really good, and compression on the cylinders are between 95 and 105. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
There were a few years early on where the Opti had some issues. Faulty injectors caused many power head failures giving the outboard the name OptiPop or OptiBomb. Since then the opti has become probably the most reliable DFI 2 stoke out there. It has even been named the top 2 stroke outboard by JD Powers this year. Just make sure it has had all the updates and have a certified Opti mechanic look at it. I love mine. Very fast and fuel efficient.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
2000 was one of the years they were known as Optibombs.

It wasn't just injectors. Some blew due to the way the cooling system worked. I can't remember which cylinder, but one was especially prown to popping because it would run too cold.

If you're really interested in the motor, I'd try and find a Merc mechanic to run the serial number to see what if anything has been done to the motor, check hours and to give it a good go over.

BTW, my feeling is that 2003 was when everything started coming together for Optis in that size range. B4 then it seemed like a **** shoot. One guy got a good running motor, the next guy got a lemon.

- Dae

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This boat is at a dealership with certified mercury mechanics, I looked at the initial inspection sheets, everything looked good. The motor has about 150 hours on it, considering the age. Thanks for your guys opinions. I pulled the cowling, and the motor looked great, nothing really obvious.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yes, have someone else look at the motor and make sure they run the serial # with Merc to see what's been done and what type of warranty claims that the motor might have had. You might be able to get warranty claim info from Sherm over on Bass Boat Central if you can get the serial numbers.

Just because a motor looks good doesn't mean it is. Ask D-hlaw over on THT. That dude had a pair of , I think '01 or '02, that spent more time in the shop then in the water and they were new motors.

150 hrs doesn't seem like much on a 6 year old motor. Personally, I'd feed better if the motor have 500 hours on it.

- Dae

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been doing alot of research on the engine over the internet. It seems that there is a particular serial number, where a manufacturer of a certain part changed and the problems started popping up. Also there is the possibility the engine may have had upgrades done to the engine, so I have a ways to go on making a decision on this.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Have the air rail and fuel rail pressures cheaked and if possible, have a static check done with a DDT. That should give all the info you need (with the compression check) to evaluate the running condition of the motor. They are generally good motors. Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts