Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a call from the boat yard today and said that they found water in the lower unit (milky white stuff). Said that a seal had likely gone and that they should be able to find it by dropping the lower unit and pressure testing. Motor has about 570 hours. Couple of years ago I hit a 2x8 pretty hard but never noticed any problems nor did the yard find anything that fall....perhaps a delayed failure?

I'll get the job done but was wondering if anyone has had this condition and could enlighten me as to likely causes and fixes? Looking to broaden my knowledge about the job. Also thought that if they are dropping the lower unit, might as well change the impeller too....sound about right?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not that tough of a fix, Id'e go ahead and replace the seals, upper and lower shaft seals and put a pump kit in it while you got it apart...cheaper than a new lower unit...m2ctsw

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll have them do both seals. I'd already printed out the detailed pics on the impeller replacement. Had planned to do this in the spring and already have the parts, just need to get them to the yard.....sooner than expected....

John

·
Registered
543 Posts
great yea why dont u do it yourself .I cant see paying couple hundred more just to have some one do it for u .then u wont understand how your own engine works .if u need sombody to do that then u must need sombody to do most anything .course if you got money like that but it still dont make sense to me .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts