Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's hear what is going on in your neck of the woods. What are you seeing as far as rut activity in your area. Let's keep updating this thread as often as we can :2guns: Good luck to everybody, the next few weeks will be great. Looks like a cool front on the way at the beginning of next week.

·
Registered
129 Posts
:All I see is bears, Not having much luck with the still hunting but they are on the move. Cant recall seeing so many dead deer on the side of the roads. Justin, you may not remember, but my son killed his first deer at your Grandfathers farm on Route 58 about 5 years ago. I was invited from Shay, when he would talk to me.:clapping2:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Chasing doe in Louisa Co. Talked to my brother in law last night and he said he saw 5 bucks Tueday all following doe and could not get them to stop for a clean shot, even used a grunt call but the deer stayed on the hot a$$ not giving him any attention. I get one more day Friday to hunt BP before the dogs are released Saturday.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I sure would like to see something other than bears.I went this afternoon in my honey hole and grunted a few times,before I knew it he was coming so I thought.The next thing I saw was about a 250 lb bear under me.The bears are everywhere this year.I let him go.Just dont have the desire to kill one.I got a picture of a blackpowder kill from IOW .tHE DEER IS 21"WIDE AND JUST AS TALL.HE IS A TRUE BULL.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I sure would like to see something other than bears.I went this afternoon in my honey hole and grunted a few times,before I knew it he was coming so I thought.The next thing I saw was about a 250 lb bear under me.The bears are everywhere this year.I let him go.Just dont have the desire to kill one.I got a picture of a blackpowder kill from IOW .tHE DEER IS 21"WIDE AND JUST AS TALL.HE IS A TRUE BULL.
speaking of bear, I just got an email from a buddy at work who sent me a FWD of some NC bear hunting. They are also benefiting from the fires. shoot me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you for posting the pics on this thread (not my specialty). their group of five guys killed three bears in one day, all over 500 lbs each!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I saw some of the best chasing in Charles City this year I've ever seen period. It was the last week of bow season though. Since then I might have seen 3 bucks chasing does. I've hunted quite a bit too. Killed a 17" 8 pointer this evening. He was looking for a doe, but it seems still to me that it's on the backside of it all there in that area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heading to the stand this afternoon at 3:00pm I saw a doe come across the field approx 200yds away and before I could get a cap on the gun and in range, big boy comes out nose down chasing her into the woods..... 4:47pm in the stand, a decent 6 walks out in the field I'm in checking a scrape line and dropped him at 73 steps... Deer definatley on the move here in prince george county.......

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's on!!!! Saw two mature bucks here in shenandoah county have thier does cut from the herd laying out in open pasture fields...Middle of the day...They had that stupid glassy eyed look on their faces...Kinda like the lok i had back in my college days on any givenmorning after.......Donnie B......

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I've hunted the early season part of suffolk with rifle and black powdered in Isle of Wight and Smithfield; We were seeing LOTS of doe early but the last 2 weeks you don't see anything but yearlings right at dark. We have lots of sign and have seen a number of very large bucks after dark. Between the full moon and mating I think they are just staying put with the mature does. I decided to stay home last night and of course my buddy calls me this morning saying he saw the BIG 10 pointer I've been stalking; standing on the path to my blind last night. GO FIGURE!
guess its going to be and the rain suit tonight.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've hunted the early season part of suffolk with rifle and black powdered in Isle of Wight and Smithfield; We were seeing LOTS of doe early but the last 2 weeks you don't see anything but yearlings right at dark. We have lots of sign and have seen a number of very large bucks after dark. Between the full moon and mating I think they are just staying put with the mature does.
This seems to be what is going on in my area as well.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Western Virginia

Out here in Highland Co. the bucks are just starting to rut.They are just starting to try to keep their scrapes open and rubbing on trees is increasing.Weather has been terrible for hunting.Not much acorns and the deer are really spread out in the national forest.

·
Registered
708 Posts
one I got in Madison

was on a doe. ONLY reason he stepped out of the woods was because she did I am SURE!! Also saw two small 8's and a wide but lightly beamed 6 all messing around the same doe!! I walked up on em by accident and instead of all running off, they all ran different directions and then all came running back, and then back away again, and then back to me again. Cause the doe just sat there. They didn't want to be the one that ran off and left the hot mama for the other guys!! I let em walk though cause they were just young, foolish, boys...;-)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear you, it is on. I do not blame them for not wanting to leave. I saw two chases on the way home from work yesterday and I only have a 5 mile communte!!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Well All I worked in Richmond last night then onto Charlottesville afterward and all I can say I dodged about 6 Bucks Standing on the Road On 522 and a few more on route 29 ,,, They were all sprting Blacks Hocks
So Its still on in VA

·
Registered
159 Posts
rutt iz over

As for hunting in fluvanna co. The rutt iz over saw a big doe tuday in the field with this years early fawns.most of the time they get away from fawns to breed. No buxs tuday.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still hunted this morning and had a small 3pt cross out first. I saw a nice 8pt in the cutover behind a doe ans he was grunting every breath. I could not get a shot, but it was a pretty sight and neat to hear ne grunting away in the snow. This was in Gates Co. NC. I guess they are a few does still in heat. My buddy saw some fresh bear tracks in the snow this am. He did not get on stand until 9:00 and the bear had just crossed. He was in Va and could have taken him if he had gotten to his stand on time. We will se what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
526 Posts
the rutt on ft. eustis has been shaky one day there rutting, the next there not, ya just gotta pic your day and hope for the buxs to get horny, also on sat. the does where bleating bad for company, thats how 2 where taken they where looking for some lovin and got it with slugs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts