Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Interesting, these guys had that much time to opine about why Rockfish aren't in the bay like the SHOULD BE and yet not one word about menhaden or lack thereof. In fact, the one fella went out of his way to point out he was catching Rock that were eating other-than-menhaden baitfish.

I am highly suspicious as I cannot imagine anyone with a whit's worth of awareness of the subject matter (much less being hyped as expert in the subject) not taking this opportunity to at least mention this troublesome out-of-balance situation going on in OUR bay. They were either coached, scripted, or edited from saying ANYTHING negative about the Rockfish and the direct relationship their health and very existence has on menhaden.

Look, I am not naive enough to have expected to hear the word "Omega" used in a negative way on a segment like this, just expected a comment or two to address the negative impact that exist when, year after year over 80% of the total Bay population (comprising of offspring 3 years and under) of the Atlantic menhaden are systematically; corralled up, sucked up, and squashed into cat food. In other words; made annually extinct.

Now, I am wondering if Omega may have indirectly underwritten any of the cost of this production to keep their name and/or any finger pointing toward their dirty little business and its devastating effects, out of this report? I would like to think not but, does make me think that may explain some... Hmmmm?

Ricochet

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Capt Ryan keeps boat near Omega plant. a couple yrs ago, I went to a seminar that had Capt Ryan speaking. Throught carefully crafted wording in made it sound like there was massive amounts of bait in the bay... when he was talking about out in federally protected water. Which is where I am sure this was filmed.
BTW, I walked out during his speech. I could not believe his deception.

I wondered about link to Capt Ryan, this this video, last years video , and Omega.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow! Either we hit the proverbial nail on the head or people are afraid to speak their mind on this one there Charles! Ricochet By the way, lurkers... I dialed into the inaugural meeting of the Va Saltwater Fishing Association (or whatever the name will be) and was impressed with what Mike Avery and others presented but, was really disheartened to hear Mike say at the end of the call that only 16 people were on the call!!! I hope I heard wrong, with 500,000+ saltwater licenses sold for saltwater fishing, there has to be more interest than that!!! Please, get behind this organization as it forms, we desperately need a political voice in Virginia from saltwater recreational fishers. It's in Omega and other abusers of OUR resources best interest that there is no one place legislators and regulators can go to hear what we think about issues directly relating to our specific interest, heathy sustainable fisheries for our kids on down the line. I am not speaking on behalf of or with even the permission of this grassroots group; just very interested in seeing it gain momentum. Plan to get off the sidelines and get behind this thing!!! Ricochet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts