Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Rockfish- dont worry,be happy!

Just watched this well filmed documentary (wishing I was onboard to help!) and came away with a feeling about it's affect on those who see it: "Its all OK, things change, we have it under control and while we cant change the weather, the bait supply, or acts of nature, we have a program that does very well and Im sure things will improve again - they always do, through sound management". Dont worry, be happy, as the song goes.

I agree with what these captains and biologists say, but there is a side to the publics' enthusiasm for improving things that will come home to roost: think of the price of oil and efforts to change our energy supply to a "green" sourcing.

Public opinion and the willingness to try something new varies in a direct, causal, connection with what a gallon of gas costs. High oil, lots of attention to go solar, electric, etc. Cheap gas, not so much. Attention fades quickly and its a grand ole time as usual. Everybody is pleased at $50/barrel, so there is silence on new types of energy.

Thats the connection to rockfish: supply, demand and the future. I will predict that if the rockfish rebound next fall and everybody goes out and does well (even if you cant keep more than 1), all of the clamouring for change that has dominated this discussion board, will simply fade away. In 2016, the feds might well increase again to 2 fish and joy will return to all of us. All of the things that have been discussed here will just not seem as relevant. Business as usual till next time.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just watched this well filmed documentary (wishing I was onboard to help!) and came away with a feeling about it's affect on those who see it: "Its all OK, things change,.... I will predict that if the rockfish rebound next fall and everybody goes out and does well (even if you cant keep more than 1), all of the clamouring for change that has dominated this discussion board, will simply fade away. In 2016, the feds might well increase again to 2 fish and joy will return to all of us. All of the things that have been discussed here will just not seem as relevant. Business as usual till next time.
Keep dreaming. It's been declining steadily for the past ten years and isn't going to rebound next year or the year after. I don't care what the weather is like.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Video shows fishing in federally protected waters .. VERY Sad.
Is not a fair representation of what is happening in Va waters.

I know you do some good representations of Va waters,, Why make this?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Those are yankee rockfish. Our local rockfish population is spent. Remember the days of 50-100 fish nights at the small boat channel-on opening day? Those days are gone. Yeah-they cut our limit to 1 fish/person this year-how many people actually caught this? I see a moratorium in our future again. WTF!!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Those are yankee rockfish. Our local rockfish population is spent. Remember the days of 50-100 fish nights at the small boat channel-on opening day? Those days are gone. Yeah-they cut our limit to 1 fish/person this year-how many people actually caught this? I see a moratorium in our future again. WTF!!
The sooner the better ( moratorium ) if we want to get them back. I am sure I will get some flack but that is what needs to happen now!!

I stated several years ago how off things were getting but got scalded. The scalding I can take as I am a salesperson. What I can't is to see a fish that got me into fishing be depleted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What a crock.

Anyone that thinks the population is healthy has blinders on.

They arent coming inside 3 miles because there is no bait and because there arent that many of them to follow the bait.

"Eelers did real well" - maybe compared to 2013.

Rockfish are too political but I do believe a united front could put an end to Omega.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts