Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 was a great year of fishing - by far my best since moving to VA three years ago! My wife and I had a goal of getting out Expert Angler awards... I got mine in early August, but we had to work for Megan's and finally caught her 6th species (sea bass) last week on the final trip if the year! The year started out with some good crappie and catfishing in freshwater, then we hit the ground running with many limits of tog in april and multiple double-digit drum trips in May. We caught lots of cobia both chumming and sightcasting, and also got a good number of offshore trips in. I had a goal to catch more flounder this year, and have a good freezer full of them now! Fall drum fishing was good, along with sheepshead - which was anther goal for the year! We also had a great fall catching schoolies at night, and had several good tog trips and some great wreck/deep drop trips! We are on our way to MN for the holidays, so the big rockfish will get s break from us. Hope y'all catch em up and have happy holidays! We're excited to see what 2016 will bring. Here's pics of our paper-worthy catches:

·
Registered
166 Posts
what model avet reel is that in the bottom pick and how do you like it? have an sx i use for flounder looking to upgrade to a slightly larger one for the deep.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Congratulations to both of you on your success! Truly outstanding!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nicely done. Congrats to both of you and appreciate all the reports and info you eagerly share. Have a safe trip and a Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice pics and congrats on the great season. Those are some big sheepshead! Any tips on where to go locally for more information on the expert angler program? Thanks and tight lines.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what model avet reel is that in the bottom pick and how do you like it? have an sx i use for flounder looking to upgrade to a slightly larger one for the deep.
Thanks everyone!!

The Avet Megan was using in the pic is an MXJ 2 speed. I have two of them, and they're pretty good little reels. They're good for anything in the bay, to small tuna and blueline tiles. Not sure if use one for golden tiles or grouper though. I have about 350 yards of 50lb braid on them. They're not the smoothest reels in the world and don't have a whole lot of drag though. If you're looking for a really nice reel in that size I would recommend a talica 8 or 10. I have a talica 16ii for tuna jigging and deep deep dropping and love it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.