Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone could confirm Sea Bass season start date for 2015? May 19th was start date for 2014 but I have heard this years opening day has been moved to 5/15 which is a Friday. However, I have been checking VMRC's web site and they still only show last year's dates. I am hoping for weather to cooperate but need to put in PTO time now. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
VMRC is slow to update their regs sometimes. Yes BSB opens 15 May. You can see this in the minutes to the last meeting.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/Commission_Summaries/cs0315.shtm

23. REQUEST FOR PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed amendments to Chapter 4 VAC 20- 950-10 et seq. "Pertaining to Black Sea Bass" to modify the dates for the recreational fishing season for black sea bass. THE COMMISSION UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED THE STAFF REQUEST FOR A PUBLIC HEARING TO MODIFY THE DATES FOR THE RECREATIONAL FISHING SEASON FOR BLACK SEA BASS, FROM MAY 19 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 21 AND OCTOBER 18 THROUGH DECEMBER 31, TO MAY 15 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 21 AND OCTOBER 22 THROUGH DECEMBER 31. THE POSSESSION LIMIT WILL BE 15 FISH AND THE MINIMUM SIZE LIMIT WILL BE 12.5 INCHES, TOTAL LENGTH

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The opening day will almost certainly be May 15. The regulation will be set at the April VMRC meeting. At the March meeting, a Public Hearing was scheduled for the April meeting. The opening day was going to be May 19. Sea bass is managed through ASMFC and MAFMC. They are now doing a regional grouping thing. I think we are with Maryland and Delaware. Maryland requested the date change. Unless we are told something different/date change not approved by the powers that be, VMRC will approve the date changes at the April meeting. Note that there are no more fishing days added, just a slight shifting of the opening and closure dates. I don't know why Maryland requested the change but it is anticipated to be approved and the opening day should be May 15.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The sad answer to that question is when nobody in Virginia cares about sea bass fishing . For some reason the groups that manage Our fishery close the season when the fishing is best for us. I hope we can get a change in regs. soon that allows us to keep at least some of those fish that we are throwing back .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts