Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
If I remember right, females were down 30% last year and down again this year.

Oh but wait, the good news is, they are still above the long term AVERAGE. 140 million versus the 126 million average.

Not exactly optimistic.

All I know is recs haven’t been able to keep females for 10-12 years!!

AND juveniles are at an all time record low, which means replenishing female stock isn’t a high probability.

And the lead scientist says says let’s just hope weather patterns bring a hurricane and more tidal flow to bring in more larvae from the ocean!! Possible but like betting on wining the lottery for your retirement.

Chris

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
And the lead scientist says says let’s just hope weather patterns bring a hurricane and more tidal flow to bring in more larvae from the ocean!! Possible but like betting on wining the lottery for your retirement.
I'd say that's more like hoping a plane crashes on your house so that you can remodel your kitchen. I definitely am not rooting for a hurricane to come up the Bay!

A concern I've had for years -- at least in places like the Severn that don't have commercial crabbing -- is the commercial scale of the recreational crabbing. I can't remember exactly when it happened and I don't follow crab regs closely, but at some point rec crabbing went from a few folks with chicken necks and maybe a trap or two, to many boats out nearly every day on every productive point with dozens of traps plus trot lines hundreds of feet long. I don't care whether you call it recreational or commercial, that's going to leave a mark on the local crab population.

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
With the cost of crabs, everyone that has a boat is crabbing and wanting to catch a "limit" When I go I just catch enough to eat.......... Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tuck Hines at SERC was pursuing an interesting line of research nearly a decade ago, suggesting stockpiling females while male numbers are down is NOT the way to rebuild our pop.

Haven't really heard a peep since. But it was all I could do to recall the following, LOL.

From the recesses of my memory and a 2012 Baltimore Sun article.

"Female crabs only mate once, Hines explained, and they store up the sperm they receive from that single coupling to fertilize the several batches of eggs that they can produce in their lifetime. Male crabs, by comparison, can mate with multiple females, but need 10 or more days after each coupling to completely replenish their sperm supply.

Hines said the sperm reservoirs of female crabs checked several years ago in the lower Bay were only about one-quarter full, a lot lower than the reserves found in female crabs outside the Chesapeake which are not as heavily harvested.

Sperm levels in bay crabs also vary during the year, he noted, with females that have mated in summer holding only half as much sperm as those that mated in the fall. Hines pointed out that the seasonal dip happens at a time when recreational and commercial crabbers alike are focusing on catching males for eating steamed whole in backyard cookouts and restaurants. That's prompted concern that the jimmies may be overworked or spread too thin in mating."

So maybe too few males to service the available females, and the males that haven't been caught up are just about shooting blanks, flat wore out. And the females, who have one shot at this, aren't getting enough little swimmers to meet their reproductive capabilities.

·
Registered
660 Posts
With the cost of crabs, everyone that has a boat is crabbing and wanting to catch a "limit" When I go I just catch enough to eat.......... Gary
Same here Gary ..I crab around my marina and 1.5 to 2 dozens is perfect for us..would know what to do with much more except giving it way to friends.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think the recreational limit on crabs is way too much. One crabber does not need nor can eat a bushel of crabs

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Also, many feel Brenda Davis lost her job because of politics, but I feel she lost her job because she didn’t do it well. Your seeing it now and in years past with poor crab counts and harvest year after year. Jmo

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the recreational limit on crabs is way too much. One crabber does not need nor can eat a bushel of crabs
LOL, ain't met my family, have you?

In the '70s, even on weekends, rarely saw another boat. Fishing or crabbing.
Usually ran a 500-600' line, bushel an hour, on eel.

Bit more pressure these days.

These days, it's people everywhere.
Hell, some spots, more Pennsylvanians than MD' ers. Same with Sika deer hunting.
Why is their cost of entry so low?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, many feel Brenda Davis lost her job because of politics, but I feel she lost her job because she didn’t do it well. Your seeing it now and in years past with poor crab counts and harvest year after year. Jmo
And you don't think politics influenced her management decisions?

She wasnt alone, she went out in a rash of political removals.

And we are poorer for it.

We'd like to think that science alone is what management decisions are based on, but never has been. And sadly, politics plays an ever increasing role.

Trust the science!
LOL

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every "crabber" is different. My crabs not only feed myself but also my wife, 2 kids, their spouses, and 2 grandsons. A bushel does not last very long.
I crab with my brother who has as many family members as I do and naturally we split whatever we catch. The few times in the last 3 years that we were lucky enough to even catch a bushel didn't provide us with much more than a taste for everyone.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I don’t think it’s the bay’s responsibility to feed the neighborhood crabs because you can. 2 dozen is plenty for what your asking.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I bought a bushel for my family for Mother’s Day. All crab eaters plus an Orioles day game. Had a half bushel left at the end of day. I know crabs. Brenda didn’t and it appears you don’t either

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Selfish greedy people that love to complain. It ain’t the 70s or 80s anymore. We all know we don’t need this many crabs

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
And you don't think politics influenced her management decisions?

She wasnt alone, she went out in a rash of political removals.

And we are poorer for it.

We'd like to think that science alone is what management decisions are based on, but never has been. And sadly, politics plays an ever increasing role.

Trust the science!
LOL
she has an incredible education and resume.She played the politics as well, salary and benefits were gleaming, if she cared about what she did, she wouldn’t of cared about the politics and did the right thing and didn’t care, could of got a job anywhere. She didn’t do a good job managing the crabs and that whyare where we are and she is out of a job. I’ll bet though, she’s doing fine somewhere else. About to retire, yet our crabs are still in trouble

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
2 dozen male and female, per licensed Rec crabber. That’s it! Want more crabs, bring more licensed crabbers on your vessel

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If I were in charge, I’d designate a crab zone, not unlike the current crab pot zone. That’s where you can crab and that’s it! It’s working for seaducks and no one is losing they’re jobs.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t think it’s the bay’s responsibility to feed the neighborhood crabs because you can. 2 dozen is plenty for what your asking.
2 dozen for 6 adults and 2 kids? Since when was immediate family the "neighborhood"?
Actually, don't bother answering. This as well as the great majority of your posts show that you are nothing more than an internet troll just trying to stir up ****.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts