Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend is about to purchase a cc for his 20 year old son to fish out of Indian River DE and told him I would get some recon. The boat would be used primarily for bottom fishing, inlet fishing and some pleasure boating. I fish offshore all the time and have had them both out with me on many occasions and so wanted to lend a hand in the process.

They are looking at the 21' Trophy. Seems like a heavy well appointed production boat. Safety and reliability are the priorities. Also, a very reputable dealer in the state, Short's Marine, sells Trophy, which is a huge plus in my mind because Short's will service the boat.

Does anyone own this boat? If so, would you be good enough to provide some first hand accounts of its perfomance in the ocean.

What other boats would you recommend in this class and price range? By the time they are done figuring this will be a $35,000 - $40,000 purchase including a 4 stroke and electronics.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Personally I'd rather have a Grady, Parker, Mako, C-Hawk, Whaler that's a few years old than a new Trophy. Of course, you can't beat the price, but in comparison, Trophy's are light boats b/c they are less-solidly built. That's why you see 22' Trophy's w/ a 150 OB on them, but the same sized of the other mentioned brands all come w/ 200's. And that weight is important in rough seas.

Just my opinion. At least they don't stock them w/ Force engines anymore. If so, then he'll need to budget for lots of repairs and eventual repowering.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you're buying new, the Trophy will probably depreciate faster than any other brand. Most consider it a lower tier boat in terms of quality. I've never owned one so I can't comment on the quality except what I read. There are plenty of guys who own Trophies and like them, but I would consider something else. Seapro, Sailfish, Cobia will hold there value better and probably offer a safer experience. That 21 Sailfish looks awesome and will ride a whole lot better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts