Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at new bay boats in the 21-22' range and wanting some feedback from others that have these brands. Mako, Edgewater, Nautic Star, Tidewater and Sea Fox. They are all priced kinda the same ballpark wise but want the best for the buck. Let me know if you have any info on them. Will be fishing in Elizabeth river and bay on nice days.

·
Registered
110 Posts
FWIW

I'm a used boat guy, but then I like to work on them. We have a Grady 22 with a Yanmar that does everything I want.

We had a mechanic go over the motor before closing the deal. The only difference between new and used is the shine, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I am looking at new bay boats in the 21-22' range and wanting some feedback from others that have these brands. Mako, Edgewater, Nautic Star, Tidewater and Sea Fox. They are all priced kinda the same ballpark wise but want the best for the buck. Let me know if you have any info on them. Will be fishing in Elizabeth river and bay on nice days.
Mako makes a very nice 21.4' center console model. Sells new for $48k however. Comes with a 225hp Merc. at Bass Pro. You could probably find it for somewhat less elsewhere and maybe with a Yamaha to boot. For quality, you cannot beat a Mako at that price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Take a look at Sea Hunt bay series.

Chatlee Marine in Garner NC has a 22' in stock.

I have a NauticStar 2100 with a 115hp and wish I had a 22' with a 200hp.
Overall, I am satisfied with the boat and it can handle choppy water around the edges of the bay

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pressing on my used boat view, looking at Craigslist this morning, $22000, will buy a very nice Grady 226 with a 200 hp Yamaha and a trailer. Using the previous $48000 price listed above as comparison, the buyer will keep $26,000 in his pocket.

I spend about $1000 a year on gas, and let's say another $1k on maintenance and boat stuff.

Purchase savings 48000-22000= 26000
10 years of operations. (1000+1000)x10=20000

That leaves a savings of $6000 for other things like bait and fishing gear, electronics, etc.

Since most of us don't have $48,000 lying around for play money, now there are loan payments to make, and the difference between a new and used boat purchase gets even bigger.

A fiberglass boat will last a very long time, the parts bolted to it may need replacing, and the wiring connections cleaned periodically. Motors last equally well if well maintained. It's the little things that break and left unfixed that add up and eventually cause the boat to be scrapped.

Keep it out of the sun in storage, tend to the maintenance, and they run a very long time.

I hope this is helpful, it is not intended as a slam, only my view that has served me well.

FWIW

So this is why I like used boats so much.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have used boats as well but maybe he wants a new boat. If it makes him happy then that's what he needs.

In my opinion buy the one that fits your need and look at resale prices for brands. All the boats listed will handle what you want to do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Check out SPORTSMAN BOATS. I have a 2013 Masters 207. I've fished from Rudee Inlet to the Chesapeake Light. Never took water over the side, it rides like a larger boat in a 2' slop. Very similar to Tidewater too.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
When you say "bay boat" be aware there is a style of hull called a "bay boat" which, ironically, is not the best for the lower Chesapeake Bay but is better for flat water like up in small creeks. Flat and shallow.

If you mean a "boat for the bay" look for a hull, if it's a V, that's high in the front with a spoon. Most of the "sea" boats (sea hunt, sea pro, etc.) have them. Or consider the cathedral hull like Whaler and its clones, or flat bottoms like Carolina Skiff J series.

Mako used to have a good reputation and no longer does at Bass Pro.

And speaking of which, many big-box sellers under power their boats to bring the price down.

If you find something interesting, put it up here; lots of advice and opinions here--but they tend to be local knowledge.

I favor used over new, every time.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the reply's. I looked at a ton of new boats this week and just pulled the trigger on a new 22' sea hunt 22 br. They made me a deal I could not refuse and got a better boat then Tidewater and Nautic Star's I was looking at. Ton more options, etc and a bigger yammy then they put on theirs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts