Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow , what a difference 10 years makes. I took time to look back on old logbooks after a friend called to tell me he had caught three Rock today. He said from what he heard - that was a good catch.

Back in 2005 - I wrote a comment " Slow fishing today - only managed 22 fish ". The trip two days earlier showed 43 Rock to the boat.

For those that were fishing around 2002 to 2007 - you know how awesome it was.

Sad when 3-4 fish is now consider a good day.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was telling a buddy when we were out last week that we regularly had multiple rods get hit at the same time...He didn't believe me, but man what fun that was....It was the rare occasion when we didn't limit out before noon.

It's truly sad...

DBM

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Greg and I would meet at SPSP after putting the kids on the bus, head south for 15 minutes and catch 20+ by noon. How about those winter trips to Solomon's. We were spoiled rotten!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
No what's sad is that people continue to ***** about having to put a few fish back in order to hopefully get it back to some of those glory days.

Keeping a few select fish now sure as hell beats the moratorium when we couldn't keep any. It was that MORATORIUM that led to the great fishing of 10-20 years ago.

How soon people forget!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow , what a difference 10 years makes. I took time to look back on old logbooks after a friend called to tell me he had caught three Rock today. He said from what he heard - that was a good catch.

Back in 2005 - I wrote a comment " Slow fishing today - only managed 22 fish ". The trip two days earlier showed 43 Rock to the boat.

For those that were fishing around 2002 to 2007 - you know how awesome it was.

Sad when 3-4 fish is now consider a good day.
What were the water temps back then? It's 52-55 out there now.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Yeah, but Skip, you also remember those days ten years before that when anyone catching a "trophy" Rock anywhere on a given day was a big deal. We recovered from that and now, with a new mindset, new regs and enough determination, we can get back to those "good 'ol days" that we lost and found once before.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Way before my time....would have loved to be a part of it
I got back out on the bay in 2007 (after a 25 year break from my childhood days with Pop), and I caught the tail end of the good times. It would take us most of the day to do it, but I can remember getting our 4 man limit plus a couple C&R's using 6 boat rods and no planers.

A couple years later, i got boards, and developed the spread that I use to this day. The first couple years, we would typically limit out by 10 am, but a few years ago, it started going down the tubes.

The last two years, I only boated one keeper each season and took quite a few skunks; although last year, we had one trip where we had three our four missed knockdowns. The resource is definitely in trouble, and anyone who poo-poo's that assertion, is just talking macho bravado garbage.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My fishing on the bay goes back to the fifties when I started fishing with my dad (lots of happy memories there) and the best striper fishing I remember was about 2000 to 2010. In those early days (50s and 60s) it was legal to keep 12" and then 14" stripers. Don't even ask me about the crabbing, shad, herring, croakers and others. I am starting to sound like my grandfather.

·
Registered
679 Posts
3 or 4 years ago we went out of Solomons on a charter during 1st week of the season after a very warm winter and caught 46 from 7am to 2pm. Very 1st board bait put out got hit before 2nd bait could get 1/2 way out, and we never went more than 5 or 10 mins without a bite. Been a grind it out kind of day ever since then, though. Was nice to have tired arms back at the dock!

·
Registered
885 Posts
JMW that had to be 2012. The first two weeks of that season out of Solomons were, by far, the best I have seen since I started fishing out of there in 1995. It was spectacular. We could still get a good run this year...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Is catching 43 fish responsible? I don't mean it as an insult, just something to comprehend. I mean it sound like you got your limit and then C&Red the rest of the day. If thousands of other people did that couldn't that be a big part of the problem? maybe if the stocks get better from the new restrictions people will be more responsible. ding ding ding LOL

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I believe when you buy a license, there are no limitations on how many you catch, only how many you are allowed to keep. Being legal allows you to catch as many as you want until the DNR changes the rules.

The ding ding ding is appropriate here, this poster will try to take a response and make an issue out of it. Nothing new with the trouble makers, they hate TF and will try to disrupt a thread. Using debate and opinions is a false motive on their part.

Anyway, definite difference between then and now. Just have to grin and bare it. Will take several years to see if slots have an effect. From what I've heard, it helped immensely down south. Hoping for the best.

On another forum I frequent, when trolls appear, they ignore him or her, it works very well. Nothing like a troll being unhappy when no one answers to them directly. Sometimes if a troll starts a thread, they talk good food or restaurants. That also makes them mad.
Every one posting reports or stories should not let another ruin it.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Rockfish in decline, crabs in decline, sea trout non-existent, yellow perch in decline, shad & oysters at 1% historical populations,what are you guys doing about it other than ***** on the internet?

I've said it once, I will say it again. Recreational fisherman are a sorry bunch of do nothing, apathetic, cry babies.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Oh that's right, you don't like CCA, you don't like MSSA, you don't like Stripers Forever, you don't like RFA. Greenpeace are a bunch of whacko's. Conservationists are too liberal for your conservative tastes...

Let me tell you one thing, the commercial harvesting community is very organized, command a presence, and lobby hard for what they want. They represent themselves well in Annapolis, are good at raising membership numbers, fundraising and reaching out the media. Recreational fisherman and your expensive fiberglass toys - not so much. Until we as a group get organized, we are nothing, absolutely nothing.

Continue whining boys...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Rockfish in decline, crabs in decline, sea trout non-existent, yellow perch in decline, shad & oysters at 1% historical populations,what are you guys doing about it other than ***** on the internet?

I've said it once, I will say it again. Recreational fisherman are a sorry bunch of do nothing, apathetic, cry babies.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Oh that's right, you don't like CCA, you don't like MSSA, you don't like Stripers Forever, you don't like RFA. Greenpeace are a bunch of whacko's. Conservationists are too liberal for your conservative tastes...

Let me tell you one thing, the commercial harvesting community is very organized, command a presence, and lobby hard for what they want. They represent themselves well in Annapolis, are good at raising membership numbers, fundraising and reaching out the media. Recreational fisherman and your expensive fiberglass toys - not so much. Until we as a group get organized, we are nothing, absolutely nothing.

Continue whining boys...
Need to lighten up, there's no reason to be like that. I'm not a part of any organization and believe that the resources rebounding will take a greater effort then any rec can put forth. Recs can't stop pollution, housing developments, runoff from farming , land development, and pesticides. Just to name a few. Money talks and most recs haven't that kind of money.
Add in the conowingo dam flooding the bay after historical storms, which takes years for the bay to overcome. Too many mother nature acts add to the problem also, Harsh winters, above average rain spring, algae blooms, low oxygen levels, drought summers. Chesapeake bay is being inundated by weather and man.
Politicians go where the money is, good chance commercial interests need those politicians to survive. The Chesapeake bay seems like an afterthought to politicians, only when a report is produced to proclaim "the State of the Bay" by some organization. It is what it is, the local and national government are always reactive, never proactive. The commercials may be organized, but that doesn't help the resources rebounding. Those guys may pay good money, but no guarantees they have a successful season. If the resources are low, no one benefits at all.

Didn't see any whining, just statements that the resources are not abundant anymore. Which is spot on.

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chesapeake rock - I can only speak for myself , the fish we released were fought in with heavy tackle and firm drags to minimize time the fish struggled.

95% would be released at boat side in the water - which was below 63*. A few big ones would be out of water for about 10 seconds for quick photo.

All this combines to hopefully a zero release mortality.

The guys who are good at catching fish will - IMHO - also be good at releasing them.

·
Registered
822 Posts

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Continue whining boys...
i like this & it is very true

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.