Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some expert advice on which rifle to purchase for varmint hunting. If you would, tell me why you prefer one over the other, i.e. shoots flatter, longer lasting velocity, higher energy, etc. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I recommend this...

2 legged varmint - .223 higher energy
pesky caddyshack varmint - .22-250 less energy

in reality neither have much knock down energy, they are typified as just fast rounds. typically 55 grain (i think) and smaller projectiles.

they both pretty much shoot flat. If you purchase one of these, make it a bull barrell and do not i repeat do not skimp on the scope. I would go with something that goes up to 12 or 15 power like a Leupold brand product or comprable. You will want a front mounted legs or good sand/shooting bags.

good luck!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't have a .22-250, but have a couple .223's and a .204 Ruger.

The .223 offers much greater selection of ammo, and a good bit cheaper ammo if your planning to shoot alot. If your handloading that won't matter much.

The .204 shoots faster and flatter and has enough energy for coyote size game.

Looking at balistics charts, 22-250 is in between the .223 and .204 in most categories.

If your planning to shoot a lot of paper, I'd reccomend the .223

If you want to shoot prairie dogs or ground hogs at 400 yds, I'd reccomend the .204

What type varmints are you planning to hunt, and at what ranges?

I'll also second Flight Risk, do not skimp on the scope.

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
I have a Remminton stainless fluted bull barrel Sendero 22-250 with a Leupold 6.5 X 20 VariX 3. The trigger has been worked and I have a pound of mercury in the stock. I shoot 55 gr. Nosler balistic tip with 36 gr Varget powder. Great gun. I haven't used it in 7 years as I don't have any more farms with ground hogs to hunt. You interested in buying this gun?.................Gary

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
Gary, Might be interested, how much ya thinking?
The gun was $950.00 and the scope was $750.00 plus the custom work. I'd let it go for $1200.00. I had not thought about selling it until this thread as I really have no farms to shoot pigs any more. Just sitting in the safe. I really enjoyed it when I did though...........Gary

·
Registered
150 Posts
22-250 gets you an extra 150 yds, very accurate. 38grains of hodgens 380, or 41grains of hodgens 414 behind a 52gr hpbt for dime shot groups at 200yds. or even 300yds., imo. That rem. sendero is one bad ass gun

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
Josh, This gun is unbelievable! I shoot the groundhogs at 400-500 yards consistantly when there is no wind blowing. I reload all of my ammo though.You quit buying guns for your girlfriend and you will have some nice ones too:hysterical:..........Gary

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Guys, don't forget about the varmit gun of all varmit guns....220 Swift....absolute screamer, although ammo is less avaliable than other otpions.....243 or 25-06 is a nice combo varmit gun.....fox/'yote and you can still use it for deer

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
gotta ask what is the mercury for?
The mercury voids the recoil. Not because a 22-250 has enough to pop you but the gun doesn't jump AT ALL and you can see the ground hogs blow up in the scope.:thumbup: sick isn't itdancedance.............Gary

·
Registered
245 Posts
22-250 vs .223 is kind of a personal choice thing. From a performance standpoint 22-250 is a clear winner. It's basically a flat shooter single point of aim out to 300 yds. If you are strictly groundhog hunting 22-250 is bad azz. .223 shoots the same bullet but at a lower velocity. When it comes to predator hunting the .223 is the caliber I prefer. It still puts the hurt on coyotes, foxes, and bobcats but does not do the pelt damage that a 22-250 does. 22-250 does "Major" damage to whatever the bullet touches. If you don't care about pelt damage 22-250 is the way to go hands down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts