Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
In the early 80's I fished off Va beach with a guy that had just bough a 27' Albamarle (sp?) Awesome well built boat! Anyway, after only a few trips he made the statement "I wish I still had the 23 mako!" Before that time and ever since, I have always heard good things about Mako's..
That old of boat, check floors good for soft spots and has gas tank /lines been replaced?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
http://www.classicmako.com/

That is a 40 year old boat so you need to pay a lot of attention to electrical system, fuel system (if original tank plan to replace it and all fuel lines before first use period), and transom/hull integrity. There is plenty of info on the classic mako website.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the guy said the tanks have been replaces along with all hoses and wireing. The deck was replaced years ago. And thanks for the web site

·
Registered
724 Posts
Don't be scared of the old boats. They knew how to build them back then. Check the transom and stringers. They are built like tanks and the ride is awesome.

I have a 1978 20' CC

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I agree with Seagrass, you just need to be careful in purchasing an older hull and don't trust the existing owner too much. You should ask to see the receipts for the fuel system replacement.

I have a baby mako that I love--a 1988 17 ft "standard" hull. A few year ago I did some transom work, replaced the fuel system and repowered with a Yamaha 90 four stroke. It is a very solid 17 footer that floats in 8 inches of water, push poles easily, has a top speed in the low 30s with people and gear and it uses half the gas of the old 2 stroke I removed.

Makos are great boats!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts