Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Rem. 243 for several years but have never hunted with it. I recently purchased some Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 95 grain bullets and was wondering if there is anything better out there? I also have some Rem. Core-lokt 100 gr. I plan to hunt deer with it. I know some guys consider 243 to be too light for deer, what do you recommend?

HOOK1

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have used mine for years and have no problem dropping deer. I shoot federal sp 105 grain . I also shoot a 6mm that is close to a .243 in it I shoot 115 grain bullets . just have to watch your bullet placement on the animal.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That's the best advice, watch your placement.... Try several brands and several weights to see which ones your rifle groups the best... As long as they are well constructed they'll do their job as long as you place them right.....
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have killed several deer with a 243. 3 last year alone, 100 grain core locks are the only way to go. pmi stinks, no blood trail but it killed the deer, winchesters did ok small entrance wound and ok sized exit, and the remingtons droped him in his tracks. the remington core locks left wounds that looked like a 12 gauge created them. use the remingtons and you wont have a problem if you hit them in the front end.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm with Rock n Crab, buy a couple of boxes of different brands and weights and you'll find one that groups better than others. Shot placement is key. I know plenty of people including myself that have killed alot of deer with this caliber of rifle. Shoot straight and you'll have know issues.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Who makes bullets that weigh 115gr for a 6mm/.243? Never heard of anything bigger than 105gr. Any bullets in the 90-100gr range will kill any deer out there if the shot is put where it needs to be. Ballistic tips, partitions, core-lokts...etc are all good bullets and will drop them dead as a hammer. Great little cartridge!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
A .243 is perfect for whitetail, even the elk we've got here in southwestern VA. It's accuracy and shot placement that count, not necessarily caliber. I've heard more than one big game guide say that the the second thing they hate most about some of the clients they book is that they bring a .300 or .338 magnum to camp and they don't know how to shoot it. Any guide would much rather have a client with a rifle of a smaller caliber that they know how to handle over something that just has punch.

However, having said all that, I love my 30-06 :]]

·
Registered
351 Posts
A .243 is perfect for whitetail, even the elk we've got here in southwestern VA. It's accuracy and shot placement that count, not necessarily caliber. I've heard more than one big game guide say that the the second thing they hate most about some of the clients they book is that they bring a .300 or .338 magnum to camp and they don't know how to shoot it. Any guide would much rather have a client with a rifle of a smaller caliber that they know how to handle over something that just has punch. Just use something like Core Lokt, Ballistic or Partition rounds and you'll do well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A .243 is perfect for whitetail, even the elk we've got here in southwestern VA. It's accuracy and shot placement that count, not necessarily caliber. I've heard more than one big game guide say that the the second thing they hate most about some of the clients they book is that they bring a .300 or .338 magnum to camp and they don't know how to shoot it. Any guide would much rather have a client with a rifle of a smaller caliber that they know how to handle over something that just has punch. Just use something like Core Lokt, Ballistic or Partition rounds and you'll do well with anything up to a Grizzly here in North America, most certainly Whitetail.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had some problems with the regular Winchesters (In white box)
and tried the Remington Core-lokt, the core-lokt grouped much better. I'm confident I can put those where I need to.
I'll spend some time at the range with the Ballistic Silvertips to see how well they group. Thanks to all of you for your input.
Good luck this year.
Kevin

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had some problems with the regular Winchesters (In white box)
and tried the Remington Core-lokt, the core-lokt grouped much better. I'm confident I can put those where I need to.
I'll spend some time at the range with the Ballistic Silvertips to see how well they group. Thanks to all of you for your input.
Good luck this year.
Kevin

·
Registered
132 Posts
do your self a favor and use the core locks. I made a shot on a deer, it was 60 yards broadside feeding standing still, I had a solid rest shooting out of a box stand, I put the cross hairs on the shoulder and fire, the deer runs off. I get down and look for blood and found none I saw the spot it went into the woods and stiil no blood. I look and look more and never found blood, I had no idea which way to look after it went into the woods. I think how i could of missed, I leave upset. a week later my dad finds the deer less than 100 yards from where I shot it. It had to be a double lung shot for it to only go that far. this was with PMC ammo. a couple weeks later I see an 8pt headed my way, I shoot and it drops in its tracks. this was with REMINGTON core locs, and it left massive wounds. I am in the same stand a little week before the buck and I see a doe I shoot and she runs 50-100 yards before falling leaving an ok blood trail and ok sized wounds. this was with WINCHESTER ammo. from now on I will only use REMINGTON ammo out of a 243 and suggest everyone do the same . I have seen my brother kill deer with remington ammo and it always leaves massive wounds. I hit a doe with core locks once ond it completly blew BOTH shoulder bones to bits before EXITING that was impressive for such a small bullet, needless to say she didnt go far.[grin]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.