Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My own public service announcement. My 50th birthday present this week. Some saw my post on another board so Ill repeat . It started out as a little bump- and still appeared as a little bump on the tip of my nose. Much deeper though than just skin deep. 25 stitches, 2 "digs" to get it all, and a skin graft to put it back together. Kinda graphic photo but it should be to get you guys attention. Skin cancer- "Its whats for dinner"- Peace- Craig

G

·
Sorry to see that - totally understand your message.......

In the same line of thought, my wife laughed at me this morning when I came home from Food Lion (with all the rain and wind blowing outside) with a couple of bottles of Banana Boat SPF15 which were on a Buy One /Get One Free deal. Usually $8.99 apiece so I gragged a few and threw them on the boat for the uncoming season....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Amen to that! Hopefully the doctors have taken care of it for you. As an aside, nice picture in the background. Jeff

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Now that's a " mug shot " ! ;-) Thx. Craig, sorry to hear you have to go through the pain & scare of cancer .....:eek: Good luck & hopefully it will help others to seek protection ....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx Guyz- I think a graphic picture (however fugly the model is) is better than words alone- believe me I wasnt expecting it to be as bad as it was,lol. Scott, At least there were not any boogers,lol. - and nothing like the two of you have had to endure. Jeff- glad you like the background- you should see some of the other wall walls (the college boyz room, need I say more?)lol- peace guys- oh btw- i'll probably be wearing a big ,goofy hat when you see me outdoors now instead of my baseball caps. craig

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Craig,

Two things to remember......even Nicholson didn't look good in CHINATOWN.......and NEVER, NEVER....but NEVER......SNITCH on the Mob!!!:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
don't for get the ears as well, not just the face, a little protection goes a long way, stay well craig

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Great info Craig...I hope the were successful. My father in law has had his lower lip what I call "roto-rooter'd" twice (skin peeled back, "meat" removed then skin grafts to repair).

I will take your advice and be more diligent this season and beyond.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Good luck on the healing process Craig. I've been using SPF 50 for a while now, a couple of years ago got a touch of sun poisoning on my arm and have been using it faithfully since then.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had the same thing two years ago. Started out as a tiny scab about 1/4 inch that just wouldnt heal.Kept blowing it off then finally went to the doctor.He had to dig twice also and ended up with a hole in my head the size of a quarter.Luckily all went well and the only side effect is a scar and i cant raise one of my eyebrows. While cauterizing the incision he zapped the nerve or whatever it is that controls it, oh well i can live without that.Now i make sure i get a screening every 6 months, definately worth the time for anyone who is in the sun often.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Dang Craig, hope all is well with that. Good point/post though, I will definetly check the exp. date on my sunscreen.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. A lady across the street from me had the same type of thing just to the left of her nose removed a few weeks ago. She's only 47 and my no means a sun worshipper. It can happen to anyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That picture definitely brings out the reality of it. I just recently turned 50 and I had one removed from my shoulder last year. Now when I am out there, I wear a hat with flaps that now come over the back of my neck and ears. And of course, I lather up the sun screen before going out also.

Good luck, Craig.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yikes! Hope they got it all bro. Good luck and thanks for the advice. I had some basal cell burnt of my back and face a few years back. Then they found some pre-cancerous cells on my face last year. I had to use a cream to kill it all. Then my face looke like a sausage pizza for a week. I didn't even go to work for that week 'cause it looked so bad.:eek:

Once again..good luck bro!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! that little bump sure did'nt look like it could cause all that. Glad you had it taken care of though. I guess all of us should get those little bumps looked at. Get well soon. See ya back at work.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Craig,

on a more serious note....one thing you might want to look into and I have in my closet are shirts that are light, long sleeved and SPF 35. You can then fish with good "cover"....YOU....not the fish. It ain't only your nose that gets blasted out there! Even your shirt lets the sun penetrate.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
btt...back to top for post on the sunscreen bandana worn by flats guides

·
Registered
292 Posts
My wife had a small bump on shoulder= 95 stiches and radiation. Has since traveled to her lungs. Add one lung surgery . She spent 2 weeks in hopital for specialized treatment called Interluken II. Hopefully will get 2 more.

It is a very aggressive cancer called Melanoma. While relatively unheard of, this is one of the worst cancers.

Research sunscreen- best one I found out there is Blue Lizard- you can buy online-SPF is only 30 because it is rated by Australia, but lasts much longer . Works well in salt water.

Prevention and early detection is the best thing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts