Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey 27 Sailfish need your thoughts
I am in the process of reriggin the downrigger and I want to copy your setup. How do you attach the release clip to the down rigger a couple of feet above the ball. I could wire but won't it slide up and down? I would have bmailed but my subscription is up so I will try this way.

Always appreciate your advice and candor and I want to get to be a better bay fisherman. Your advice to date has been priceless so I thought I would return to the well. If you dont want to reveal your secret I can appreciate that too. I hope your motor repair goes well (and cheap) Happy New Year!

Thanks in advance,
Bill

·
Registered
562 Posts
Cannon makes special clips designed for attaching directly to the downrigger line
I think you can actually attach two separate rods and lures to the same downrigger cable?
Pretty sure you can find them online, check out the Cannon web site to find the part#
Never done it but have seen them, I got two downriggers but have yet to mount them on the big boat

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cannon makes one that you slide on the cable between two crimps. First you have to cut off the snap at the end of the cable. Then you slide your first crimp on the cable and crimp it about 5ft up the cable then slide you releas clip on to the cable then add one final crimp below rrelease clip. I leave about 1ft of play between the two crimps. With the 3ft wire below last crimp tie haywire twist to snap swivel for downrigger ball.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I hear ya Dave
We use 2 32oz Mojo's with a umbrella lures attached on a 3 way
They catch big fish, always give that rod to the guests

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I hear ya Dave
We use 2 32oz Mojo's with a umbrella lures attached on a 3 way
They catch big fish, always give that rod to the guests
Dave, So like a super heavy tandem without an umbrella rig? I know the deep umbrellas this fall have produced big fish:yes:

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Bill - I use a Black release clip about 24 inches above the swivel that holds the weight.Be sure to spray the clip now/then with silicon lube.

I use single sleeve crimps and crimp them just firm enough so they do not slip.I leave a touch of room so the clip can spin freely.I had to use a tiny bead first-then a bigger bead.The tiny bead would go into the clip and the bigger would go over the crimp.You might find one bead that will work instead of two.Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Skips rigging works fine and here is another:

First we use either 200 or 250# Power Pro vice cable. This eliminates strum noise. We use offshore release clips like above and #64 rubber bands. This way we can position one about 24 inches above the ball, let it down ten feet attach another, let it down ten feet and attach another. This gives you maximum flexibility on where and how many lines you want to stack.
Click here to see the attachment sequence.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks alot fellas, 27 Sailfish comes through again!

A lot of good ideas here I will let everyone how it work in a couple of months I am going for the CR in March this year so when the season opens I will have an idea where they are hiding

Thanks again all this board is great I will be resubcribing again soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts