Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my fishing/crabbing sticker for my boat this week. The lady behind the counter "reminded" me that anyone else on the boat handling the crabbing gear will need a separate crabbing licence even if we only plan on keeping one bushel. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Not true. You only need the second license to take two bushels. Anyone on board can work the gear.
Yep, that's what I was told at the Pasadena fishing show by the DNR officer who was there when I asked about that. I wish they all would get on the same page and give you the correct answer consistently. Their inaccurate information could cost someone a lot of money in fines.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,151 Posts
Here's the wording in COMAR, the only thing that will hold up in court.

09 Recreational Crabbing Licenses - Chesapeake Bay and Its Tidal Tributaries.
E. Exceptions. An individual who catches or attempts to catch crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries is not required to have a recreational crabbing license if the individual:
(1) Uses any of the following gear:
(a) A dipnet;
(b) A handline; or
(c) Up to two crab pots, if qualified to use crab pots as set forth in Regulation .07D of this chapter;
(2) Is assisting an individual who has a recreational crabbing license; or
(3) Is crabbing for recreational purposes from a boat that has been licensed by the Department as a recreational crabbing boat.

It pays to know the rules of the sport you are engaged in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks guys. Stupid misinterpretation of the rules can also take the fun out of things. I honestly wasn't planning on taking anyone other than my immediate family out crabbing off the boat due to needing a license. Every time I have to ask someone to sign up for the tidal fish registry they forget and we have to do it using a phone on the way out. I understand the importance of conservation but it really feels like I'm losing a lot of my boat fun. Getting this right just made my summer a whole lot better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts