Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
I will never, ever forget this day of my life. I can only hope to live by this lesson I learned today. We welcomed a group put together by Mr. Robert Faruq of Maryland for 8 anglers. He was a couple of guys short of the 10 man minimum, so I put my dentist - Dr. Dan Williams and his friend, Mr. Doug Deese of Hampton, VA with them (off the waiting list) for a total of 10 anglers. This was our 15th extreme long range deep drop adventure of the 2007 campaign. Mr. T.J. Reiber of Northern Virginia served as 1st Mate today. Along for the ride as our co-captain and "wreck advisor" was our good friend, world famous deep dropper, Tidalfish.com superstar, and also of the good ship Graceland fame - Capt. (and Navy Chief) Darren "It must have been my head cold" Foster.

Our Jil Carrie Team motto of "Never Give Up" never, ever rang more clear and true than today's trip. We spent the entire day catching hideous Dog Sharks. It was an absolute nightmare the entire day. It was, without question, the absolute worst I've ever seen. I don't know how, why, or where these critters are coming from or going to, but right now it's absolutely insane with Dog Sharks no matter where you go.

But this crew hung in there like no other. In a true test of perseverance, hard work, and sheer determination, this crew fought through 8 wrecks, a conservative estimate of 30 - 1 DTBR (Dawg To Bass Ratio) and countless tangles, bad current, hideous Conger Eels, and the like. I can tell you that there was no joy in Mudville today.

But then, the mighty Casey came to bat. Like the Phoenix rising from the ashes, Mr. Doug Deese of Hampton, VA gave us all hope again. Amidst all of these setbacks that would have sent a lesser crew packing, Mr. Deese landed the largest Blueline Tilefish in world history - a whopping 18 pounds 10 ounces - eclipsing all of the old records by miles…

Mr. Deese, with his incredible catch inspired the crew even further. And with what will only become another part of the Jil Carrie storied history, this crew pounded out 188 portly Black Sea Bass, including 6 VA Weight Citations, 17 Blueline Tilefish including 2 more VA Weight Blueline Tilefish Citations, and the aforementioned World Record. I can honestly say that today was one of the most exciting days of my life. Not only because we once again have the Blueline Tilefish World Record back aboard the Jil Carrie, but because this crew and their leader Mr. Deese set a new standard of perseverance, determination, and dedication to this unique sport which is the extreme deep drop fishing experience. Thank you, Capt. Darren Foster, 1st Mate T.J. Reiber, and 10 fearless anglers who showed me, the "bus driver" what true dedication is all about.

And a long awaited welcome home to the World Blueline Tilefish Record after a 10 month hiatus. And also hello to the new established VA State Record. May you live to be broken again so we can once again fight this hard to get it back. It may sound insane, but that is what is so exciting - the chase - the desire - the competition. It feeds me like no other feeling in this world. To me, that feeling is the true sport of fishing. That is the challenge of extreme long range deep dropping. THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!!!!!

Black Sea Bass VA Weight Citations
Sedrick E. Easter of Lester West Virginia for a 5 pound 11 ouncer
Robert J. Furuq of Laurel, MD for a 5 pound 8 ouncer
Paul F. Masrre of White Plains, MD for a 5 pounder
2 others which did not exceed previous 2007 VA BSB citations

Blueline Tilefish VA Weight Citations
Capt. (and Navy Chief) Darren "It must have been my head cold" Foster for an 11 pound 5 ouncer which normally would have won the big fish pool. It should also be duly noted that Capt. Foster was also "high man" on the boat with 23 BSB's and 2 BLT's. Usual Co-captain Capt. Steve "The Professor" Wray would be proud…
The aforementioned Mr. Deese…

[ Pictures to follow ]

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Great report. Auh Ohh! Darren were you screaming at your shoes? Yelling Europe at the stern? Im guessing thats what the head cold comment was about??:boat:

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I will never, ever forget this day of my life. I can only hope to live by this lesson I learned today.
And I thought you were going to say you'd finally learned to trust me when I say "Hey, let's check out that number". :D

Yep, the mighty Jill Carrie got me again yesterday in flat calm seas. I have been sea sick three times now in my life, and twice have been on Jim's fine ship. One thing you must admit though, it never slows me down.

My arms are still sore from all those dawgs, not to mention those three corpulent eels I bravely fought up from 400 feet.

Congratulations to you and Doug again on the new record.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Get it right Darren. We really have to work on your "extreme deep dropping adventure" lingo....
Sea bass are the "corpulent" ones
Dogsharks are "hideous"
Eels are "grotesque"
As far as i can remember the wreckfish are "mystery fish"
Greoupers are "very rare"
and tiles are "incredible"
Did I leave any out Jim? We actually had fun on Steve's boat yesterday calling the doggies hideous and the sea bass corpulent.
Awesome Job guys. congrats...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congratulations to Mr. Deese as well as Capt. Jim and the rest of the determined crew on a job well done. Progressing from "Waiting List" to "World Record Holder" surely makes one heck of a day!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Awesome report Jim! And congrats to Doug Deese!!:bigfish:

·
Registered
3 Posts
CONGRATZ Jimmy B and the crew. (I'm an ole Navy chief too) fer another fine trip. Just remenber the Pennsylvania boyz were wif u wen you found the "Bay of Pigs". We will b back on Friday th 13th of April in search of the "SEA OF HOGZ ".

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
:rockon:... :bigfish: picture please

·
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is/was surely a great story. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I've got great pictures of the trip but I'm on slow assed dial up so it will take me a while to get the pictures up...but stand by...

·
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr. Deese actually had the largest Blueline Tilefish caught aboard the boat that day before he caught the new world and new VA State record. This one was 9 pounds 7 ounces - just short of a VA Weight Citation. But Mr. Deese was soon to beat this one with "A Whoppa"

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
As I said on another post...Congratulation To All :clapping2:

Capt. Jim - Thanks for the "blow by blow" recount of your and your crews' experience :clap:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts