Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished in the bay just off Gwynn's Island today. We caught Togs to 4 1/2 lbs. and the Croakers weighed in at 2 1/4 lbs. ( 17 1/2 in.) Wasn't expecting the Croakers but a nice bonus for sure cause they hit hard and pulled like summer fish. All fish were caught on hard crab. Togs bit good this morning before the current started runnin' out hard and then the croaker bite started. Hope this report helps confirm that the croaker are biting in the bay. Sorry it should be 4/6/05[excited]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'd love to try for togs off Gwynn's Island, so any advice or tips would be appreciated. Are they on the reef, or dropoffs, or some other feature? Also, I'm assuming a 1/4 section of crab or smaller with a very small hook, run off a flouro leader and an egg sinker. My guess is that best time is between tides when the water is not moving fast.

Please let me know where I've got it right and wrong.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Nice report.

TL

You got it on the crab. You will need a 3/0 to 5/0 hook.Mustad 3407 works good. No flourocarbon needed, 50lb. mono. Tie your own rig kinda like the two hook bottom rig used for spot and croaker with the sinker at the bottom.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TL , I tie a 3 or 4 in. dropper loop onto my main line and attach a Eagle Claw LO42FS Wide Bend hook (2/0 or 3/0) so it hangs about 1" above the sinker. Use 1/4 or1/6 of a crab with or without legs and have at it. Sometimes they don't bite as light as others say so be prepared. Had one almost pull the rod out of my hand yesterday after I removed it from the rod holder. He had hooked himself wile I was in the relax fishing mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.