Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from my father-in-law. A friend at work left Saturday to go croaker fishing, taking two friends/cousins with him. None have been heard from since. Two vehicles are at the house, indicating they rode with my father-in-laws friend. He had mentioned trying Tappahanock first and then maybe "try something else" (could mean going down river or trailering to a different landing).

The missing vehicle is a two-tone, mainly blue, pickup. He lives in Dinwiddie (south of Petersburg) so a trip to Tappahanock could change to any ramp along the way. Westpoint, Tapp. or any ramp downriver on the Rapp.

If you happen to see anything unusual at any of these areas, will you call the local police and have them check it out? His truck and trailer might be sitting somewhere (boat ramp or side of the road). He is single and thus didn't really tell anyone what his plans were on Saturday. The police called his work today to see if anyone had any idea of his plans.

Please keep an eye out. If you live really close to a ramp, would you take a quick ride and take a look. I am going to try to get some better details of truck and boat, but I am pretty sure the boat is small. Saturday was very windy.

Thanks.

Dayton

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3259942

All Safe! The Ft. Eustis group was them. Thanks for the input folks. They were in a decent size I/O. Starter quit. No cell or VHF. Spent a cold night. Lessons all around I guess.

Thanks.

Dayton

·
Registered
131 Posts
Glad to hear they were safe. This is a good reminder to everyone that they should tell someone of their plans and have at the least a VHF and if possible a cell phone. A couple hundred dollars for a VHF is a small investment for your safety.

·
Registered
956 Posts
In addition to the boat VHF, I take a handheld VHF and cellphone. I would not want to spend a night drifting around 41A or similar location.

·
Registered
309 Posts
First off, what a releif to hear they are okay. It wasn't looking good.

Lessons.....as mentioned above, radio, cell phone, a few gallons of H20, some spare food (I now do this after breaking down), and of course, an emergency reserve of your favorite beverage.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Holly ****! THat was a close one for sure. Too many people just don't get it. These Ain't farm ponds. These waters will kill you in a minute and they don't care.

It is amazing sometimes that more people don't get hurt out there. I am very thankfull that they are alright and hopefully they will use their lesson to warn others of the pitfalls of bad planning! (or none at all)

I'll bet they are in the front of church come Sunday! If not, they truley need their collective heads examined.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts