Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to try and find some macs and false albacore on Tuesday. Left the dock at 10:30 and headed north into fleets bay. We figured we might intercept some of the fish coming down from up north. Got a couple of miles south of f1 and spotted some working birds. Lines over and game on. Caught bluefish and macs for the next 2 hours. Came home with a limit of blues, released 50 more and brought home a couple of macs for dinner. No false albacore for us. We did have 1 hook break off on a new clark spoon and a bite off on one of our mackerel trees. Used 2 rods. One with a #2planer and mackerel tree and one with a #1planer and mackerel tree. Both caught equally well. Still don't like to eat the Spaniards, meat is too dry. Beautiful day.

Wednesday was shallow water day. Left the dock at 07;'00 and worked structure in the rapp. Continuous action on rockfish until about 11 when they developed lockjaw. Probably caught and released 40-50. Mostly dinks but a few 20+ fish mixed in. Used gulp jerk shads and rattle traps with single hooks. All rockfish successfully released. No specs or reds.

Thursday was bottom fishing day. Target species was #1 spot. Left the dock at 7:30. Hit the river but it was slack tide and hence no current. Hit a couple of the usual spots off broad creek, lots of screen fish but they would not bite. Moved to sturgeon bar, the silos, the mooring buoy and finally back to sturgeon bar. Managed to catch a few at each location but it certainly was not on fire. Not much current most of the morning. Late morning the current picked up as did the fishing. Finished with 30 spot equally split between #1's and #2's. Used bloodworms on the bottom. Bycatch consisted of whiting, perch, flounder, grey trout, stingrays and baby black sea bass.
All in all, three great days on the water.
Friday is a day of honeydo's.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Good report. Thx for posting. I would have thought some of those juvenile specs folks were saying they were catching a few weeks back would have shown up in the shallows for you. I am hopeful they are recovering from the bad winters and we will see more next year.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I really enjoyed your post. Great read, sounds like we had similar week. Some great fishing weather!
I had planned to try some fishing off Va beach but with all the good fishing close to home
why run any further..
BTW, were seeing a few more spec's down this way. Not keeper size but a glint of light in the darkness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.