Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Fished a lot on a 31 (which is basically the same as the 30 but re-tooled). What do you want to know about?

Overall, I like the boat a lot. Ride is very soft and it trolls well in sloppy seas. Stern fish box could be a bit bigger but overall, I liked the boat a lot. Good cruise with the Cats and decent fuel burn as well.

Glenn

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would like to know how the boat is on the drift and hook. Does it roll to much? Any common issues to look out for such as the 3116 "bad motors".Problem areas to look out for. Why people like it or dislike it? Average fuel burn on an offshore canyon trip out of VB, or perhaps run to the Point out of OI?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
As I mentioned, the boat was a 31 Alby with Cats (not the 3116's...3126's?...I don't know sqaut about cats) and it ran very well. Good cruise at 24 knots and could cruise at 26-27 when needed. Overall, it is the best Alby "on the hook" or the drift in my opinion and I've spent a lot of time on 24's (that is what I have), 28's and 32's.

Fuel burn off VB to Canyons I believe was aroud 160 gallons. I seem to remember it being a solid 1nmpg boat or even a bit better. Trax could probably tell you exactly (it was his boat I went on). Trolled a nice 10-11 rod spread and was a comfortable boat for 5 anglers

Glenn

·
Registered
875 Posts
Its about 1nm per gallon boat on the cruise or maybe a tad better. We cruise at 25kts with a full crew and loaded for the canyon. The 3116's are the ones to watch for....they call them soft blocks or French blocks. There is a stamp on it that indicates this.....maybe someone can chime in as to where it is located. I have the 3126's and other then getting bad fuel at Pirates Cove which caused numerous issues (fixed now).....they have been flawless. We only have about a thousand hours but the Healthy Grin has abotu 4 times and he has said on other posts that his were good to this point with no major issues. The one thing I love is how fishable the tower is for a small boat. I can work three lines from up top and pass rods up and down with ease. I have done plenty of canyon drifting and it fairs pretty good for a small deep V hull. Eats up anything but a big head sea. I have no complaints for what I paid. Bmail me if you have other questions.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Merry Christmas Bill and Glenn
2X4 theres a thirty footer at Rudee for sale. Rumor has it it can be had for less then 100K. Bill its the Albe right across from where your boat was at Rudee. I forget the name
Glenn i dont think that Daves old boat was ever on anchor ha ha ha.
Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
3116's

The 3116's do have issues. I had never heard about the "soft block" issue, but they did have serious issues associated with the use of multi-vis oil. Took them a while to figure out that was the problem and a switch to single weight oil fixed the problem. The problem is whether or not the engines you are looking at ran multi-vis at one time causing engine damage.

If you are looking at diesel powered boats, I would strongly recommend that you sign up as a member at boatdiesel.com. There is a wealth of knowledge at this site about almost any marine diesel you can think of and the cost is very modest.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have not regretted buying mine. I have the 3126 engingines with almost 5000 hours on them so far. No problems yet other than I did have to get some belts replaced this week. I can fish if anyone can fish. It does not roll anything like my 26 did. I had to tie coolers down in that one. In my 305, the coolers stay where we put them. I have friends with 27s and they all are happy with them. Both Albemarles I have had have been good fish catchers. Blue marlin in particular seem to like these boats.

2008 and 2009 Albemarle catalogs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our '98 280 w/ tower and Volvos cruises at about 25kts give or take on tide and conditions. Fuel burn is about 11 to 12 per, and although Volvo parts are expensive , in the 6+ years we have owned her our biggest expense was 1 lower unit that was questionable only because of the color of the fluid and due to being fished offshore , we chose to just replace it. We run some good filtering for this size boat w/ Racor Turbine 500's trying to keep things chugging along. Typical Albe response, beautiful in a head sea, tender on a drift, personally I like the bulldozer effect in a following sea with the torque from diesels and the flare of the hull up front...LOL..a wall of white water!..Check out the Albemarle Boat Owners and Carolina Classic Boat Owers sites. They will all be happy to offer up first hand knowledge. Yanmars and Volvo's are both great little diesels. I have heard that the Yanmars have a littler more vibration and a higher noise level.....I have not witnessed this first hand.....Albe's and Classic's ....Canyon battlewagons .....you can always choose when you're leaving, it's whewn you're on your way back that you'll really appreciate

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thks for the replys guys. Can't find the one listed in Rudee. The only Albe for sale on Yachtworld I can find is a 1990 32' for 119k. Seems way overpriced as their are several newer with better motors for same or cheaper. I am a member on Boatdiesel, and they say that they know what model #s the 3116 problems are with, and if you call Cat with the # they can tell you. I am looking at the 30's instead of the 31's cause I can't afford the newer ones. My main concern is the roll and pitch I have heard about. It seems the 30' not as bad as the 28 or 32's. And I love the center helm layout. I've had 2 Gradys and although they are tough boats, they will pound the snot out of you and I can't take it any more. Getting too old.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The 30/31 has a flatter deadrise than the 28/32's. It IS more stable but it is still a deep vee...

Overall, heavy and well built. Just a thought but I would also look for 29 Blackfins and 28-30 Henriques.

Good luck!!

Glenn

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about the Luhrs 32? I know everyone is pretty much against them, but did they get the 32 right? Of all the boats in this range, these seem to be the biggest and real nice layout. Just heard so much negative. I don't need a genset or AC or tv things like that.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Fished on one of those a lot as well (FINS on the board has one). Overall, I think it's a tough boat. The newer models seem to have nicer components and I like the layout of the 32 express. Ross on the Harpoon runs one too. Big beam, a lot of beef and a good, solid ride.

Have you found any 29 Blackfins yet? (it is a big 29 footer) I know I saw some really nice ones around on the net. I love that boat...

Glenn

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really looking for at least a 30 footer. Plan on having this boat long time and don't want to regret getting somthing too small. I'm moving up from a 28' Grady. Grady's are decent, tough boats but just beat the snot out of you. I have looked at some 31 Blackfin's online and they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. That 32 Lurhs is a big looking boat.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
305 Albemarle

I owned a 305 Albemarle, they are wet and not as good of a head sea boat as the 32 Albemarle and they do roll if you are not moving. I sold my after taking a ride on a Judge 34 Express. What a world of difference, no contest. If you'r going to get an Albe no matter what, get a 32 express if you are fishing offshore mainly. Otherwise go take a ride on a 34 Judge Express before pulling the trigger on anything else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts