Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok quick easy question... I hope:

Without getting into a huge bottom shot, braid, top shot discussion please!!!

Santa came early for me and delivered (4) TLD 25 for my offshore setup. I run as small boat out of OC or Va. Beach typically no more than 30 miles due to fuel capacity.

My spread is simple 5 rods max - (2) on the outriggers set up for long rigger only. (1) on a small planer (1) shotgun (1) flatline.

What # quality mono would you suggest I load these reels with? If you have a compelling story on why braid is a MUST I'll listen.

Pete

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would go with the 40# will last a little long, you will get plenty of capacity for most things we catch here and be able to land fish a little faster and get back to fishingquicker. I put moimoi #40 diamond on my stuff for offshore. Anything bigger than a 6/0 reel i go with 50-60#. 30# will work but just take longer to get in gaffers and tunas. Btw, keep a second flat ready b/c there are going to be times you may not want to put the plow down ( espically if there is a good top bite or a marlin bite, but nothing wrong with a five line spread.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We put 30 lb on ours. I feel that tld25's are best suited to light drags and that you rarely realize the advantage of having 40lb on there.
With that said, I don't think either is a bad choice...good reels, enjoy them.
Ed

·
Premium Member
26,231 Posts
Check out Ande's Monster Yellow mono.It is 30 lb on the spool but breaks much higher.Very tough line and I like the bright color- easy to track the lines.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Pete, I use 40 jikai on my tlds. That 40 is a little bit easier to tie adn not have it cut down on its self.

either jinkia, diamond, or momoi will do you jush fine. Diamond is insanley stonger than what its rated for, but the cost kind of follows the same trend.

Danny

·
Registered
18 Posts
i like momoi hi catch, then sufix superior. Two good lines and both very strong for the diameter. More abbrasion resitant than jinkai. More supple and soft than ande.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts