Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:helpsmilie:
which size braid is well suited for fishing seabass in deep water with sinkers 10oz or greater. 30lb braid is lighter but will it be to stressed with a good size seabass (or even double header @ 5lb+ each) and the weight of sinker. rt now im using a penn 309m with 50lb PP.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
30 lb Power Pro breaks at well over 40 lbs, so it would definitely handle a sea bass or a double. Now here is the rub. What happens when you hook into something you didn't mean too like a big shark or blue fish. You're probably out of luck in that case. I'd use 50 lb personally. One thing that will help you with break offs is to double the line before you tie on your swivel. you can tie a palomar or a uni like this and it holds up a lot better.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I use 50 or 65. I too double the line with a Bimini twist and secure my swivel with an offshore swivel knot.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
30 lb Power Pro breaks at well over 40 lbs, so it would definitely handle a sea bass or a double. Now here is the rub. What happens when you hook into something you didn't mean too like a big shark or blue fish. You're probably out of luck in that case. I'd use 50 lb personally. One thing that will help you with break offs is to double the line before you tie on your swivel. you can tie a palomar or a uni like this and it holds up a lot better.
That's good advice. One thing I started doing is giving my braided reels a top shot of fluorocarbon, 3 to 4 feet is all you need. Joined them together with a sebile knot that has never failed me yet. Fishing around structure like rocks and wrecks can easily put a nick in powerpro causing it to fail when you have a nice fish on. The fluorocarbon gives you that extra abrasion resistence needed when rubbing up against structure. It also gives you some extra line above your leader to grab onto when hoisting fish overboard.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is true cause i do this with the uni knot on a swivel with great success!!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I always tie a palomar with braid...

I was using 30 pound braid on my spinning rod this weekend and never had any break offs on the Blues which pulled very hard. I used a small spro to a 3 ft piece of 100 pound shock leader...

Braid is some tough stuff for sure.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Unless you plan to jig, there's no reason at all to stick with the 30; this stuff's thin enough you can pack plenty of 50 on the reel, and whomp 'em good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts