Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developers want to develope a 1000 acre farm on the edge of the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. It goes without saying that there will be an irreversible impact on\ hunting if this thing goes through. The farm had been previously set aside as a conserved piece of land. We won't know what we've given up until its gone, and no one is making new marshes, green spaces etc.I am sick of watching my home, the Eastern Shore, lose its identity and integrity to developements and so-called "resorts". So, if you are like-minded, please sign the attached petition put together by the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

http://www.cbf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=bw_home&JServSessionIdr006=f5tjgh0i41.app20a

Also attached is an article on this same issue.

http://www.americanfarm.com/TopStory2.07.06c.html

Paul Bramble

·
Registered
889 Posts
Signed.....Even if it were to have no impact on hunting......the people in those houses and on the golf course won`t like hearing all the shooting during hunting season and will try to find a way to ban hunting at and around the refuge and the development..............Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Except it's not AT the refuge, or BODERING the refuge, it's 6 miles away next to CSD High School and Maple Elemetary. It's already been annexed into the City of Cambridge, too, so there won't be any guns going off there (legally) again for hunting or anything. What's different between this and the other 3-4 developments on the head of the Little Blackwater River on that side of Cambridge? Except that bordering the river will be a golf course, which will have more wetlands, and cleaner groundwater and overflow than the current farm fields?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually OX, golf courses are just as bad, if not worse than farms with the chemicals they use. And next to the highschool, or behind it, are large farm fields where legaly people can hunt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not if you've actually looked at the testing results - golf courses are much cleaner. I've done enough water testing and worked on golf courses in this region to see the results, and have yet to see a modern course where the outflow isn't cleaner than the water it empties into for phosphorous, nitrogen or chemicals.

And no, there is no legal hunting and no legal discharge of firearms in city limits. So those fields are already out of bounds for our favored activities, except bowhunting.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I concede, I don't know enough about it. However, I'd far rather see a farm field than 3200 homes and a golf course in Cambridge.

Where is the infrastructure for all that growth? This project does not just stop at the project limits. 3200 more families means a double in the population of cambridge (10,826 per the 2004 census). Can Cambridge handle double it's current capacity for roadways, sewers, waer, etc. If Cambridge follows in the footsteps of Centreville, than no it can't. Excellent, lets so how many gallons of raw sewage the Choptank or the Blackwater can take. Not to mention the increase in impervious surfaces to the area. Yup, surefire way to improve the Bay is build this development.

I'm a roadbuilder, being against this serves me zero good and probably means less $ in my pocket, but as far as I'm concerned all these developements can stay on the western shore or in Delaware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not for it either, heck, I wish some of those ELF nuts would burn down the ones already started! [grin] But it really irritates me when the CBF takes out these full page ads and holds meetings and starts petitions based on the false perceptionm that THEY are putting out there, that all the houses and condos are going to be overlooking the Visitor Center at BWNWR. IF they can't argue against it on facts then stay home. Like they did for the developments on Race St or Woods Road, or the condos on Stone Boundary. Those are all within a mile of this newest project, all drain into the headwaters of the Little Blackwater, were all previously farmland, but you never heard a peep because those weren't flashy causes to fill CBF's pockets with donations.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It's a shame to hear of more sprawl, especially in a place with so much habitat. I'd rather keep it over here on the western shore as well!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Emphatically signed! I'm sick of watching my beautiful homeland being destroyed one farm at a time. I wish we could find a way to help the farmer and make farming more profitable, so they wouldn't be so tempted to sell out. Hope it can be stopped somehow.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Good points Osprey.

I think more Marylanders should look into the numbers on run off from farms, houses, golf courses.....etc and put pressure in the proper places to help our bay.

But not to change the subject.

-D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts