Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped my 4 rod light tackle spread in just above Sandy Point Light, just me and the dog. Lots of marks but no fish. Moved on below the Bridge and saw gannets diving near Matapeake. Picked up two fish right off the bat, both less than 30". Thought my light tackle might be resulting in smaller fish and was thinking of changing, but moved up to shallower 65' water when another rod went down with a much heavier fish. Probably 38" or so. Was sending a cell phone pic to my boys when, boom... another hook up, this one maybe just a little bigger. Storm clouds were building but the fish kept biting, all above red 88. Hooked and lost one, then got two more over the side before lightning got too close and I had to run north where I hid out below the park side of the bridge. After the rain, I headed back south toward a nice rainbow, but there was no pot of gold. Gannets were still there, but I couldn't catch another fish. I ended up with 6 fish, 4 of which were the biggest I've pulled into my boat. My spread is two lure/bucktail combos, one small daisy chain/chute, and one chute/bucktail tandem. Only one fish on the lures, the others on the chutes. -Shawn

(I finally figured out how to get my camera to work on auto.)

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Nice going Shawn,good to see some productive LTT going on,nice fish .
Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good work Shawn - looks like the fish your catching are getting bigger and bigger. How much weight (the lures) were you using? Thanks.
My bad, I usually refer to a crankbait as a "lure." I'm using Bagley's DD22 plugs. With a 3/4 oz bucktail above them they'll run 25' or better, I moved up to 1oz today. Also a good lure to keep trolling at a consistent speed. You can go faster and they dig deeper, but if you get too fast, they come up. No added weight to anything else. I'm going to see if the DD22s will run true with a parachute if the weather ever lets us fish again.

Steve -- None of my bucktails caught fish today either. Maybe they want a bigger lure? I gave a shout out to TFers when I found the fish, but no one came back. Radio traffic was buzzing about an abandoned boat found in the South this evening.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Congrats on a fine day...water looks great!.......

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Thanks for the rpt and pics. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts