Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swartj (Jerry) called a few days ago and invited my son Jimmy (1 of the 2jims) and myself out for some C/R. We met at the boat around 8:30. nb1214 (Nick) met us there too. Since it was Jerry's 1st outting of the year he had to load all his gear up. I also had to do some things at the shop. That is why the late start. I looked at the radar before I left, it looked like it would rain for an hour, then it would clear up.

We head out into the drizzling West river:

Jerry started the run south. As we were running, between 83 & 84, we saw mlag (Mark) and his crew Steve:

We decided to stay near them and call each other if anything was happening.

Jerry set the spread. One board with a single 2 oz. back 80, tandem 4/2 out 70, tandem 6/2 out 60. A pair of umbrellas rigged tandem, one white, one chartruse off the boat with 20 & 24 oz. out 60 and 80. One WWB umbrella white, tandem rigged with 6 oz. back 180'.

About 45 minutes later, Jimmy's on:

It had hit the deep chartruese umbrella.

Jimmy with a nice 36"er::high5:

About 45 minutes later the WWB starts taking some drag. Jerry likes his drags tight, it had to be a good one.

Nick's turn to get some pullage:

Nick gets the spunky fish to the boat and Jerry net's it.
It was a nice 38"er:

We were out about an hour longer with a knockdown on the single off the board that did not hook up.

Mark calls and says that he just heard on the weather channel that there was a storm near Reagan airport moving fast our way with 34 mph winds with some hail in the mix. He said he was pulling his lines and running for the barn. We decided to do the same.

Jerry's Whaler will fly. He had her running good. Right as we neared the 6 knot zone inside the West river it started to rain. We docked the boat, it started to pour. Jerry and Nick started to flush the engine after trailering the boat. Then All Hail broke loose!:eek2:

The winds picked up. The hail started. There was one massive lightning bolt that was very close followed by a huge boom of thunder. Jimmy said that there was only 2 seconds between the flash and the boom. You can see some of the hail through my windshield:

It was a good day. Thank you Jerry for the invite. Thank you Mark for the heads up on the weather, I would not like to be caught out there in that mess.

Jerry, Nick and I met up at Adam's for a few cold ones. Mark and Steve stopped by. Steve had landed a 41"er. Mark showed me the pic. I gave him his citation slip for the Catch and Release. Congrats Steve!:clapping2:

Jim

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rich,
Only saw about a half dozen boats (besides the anchored ships). They were mostly North and/or East of us. Noone was really close by. By the radio chatter, it sounded like most guys were working Bloodly and up towards the bridge.

Jim

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Jim,

It was good having all you guys onboard and it was definitely good to be back on the water. The first trip of the year is always a success if the motor starts, you don't forget anything major and you get back to the dock safely.

Here are a few other bits of info. Not much in the way of snot on the lures which is a good thing. While we did see some marks in deeper water the most consistent marks were in 55 - 65' of water. As for bait there were some small pods of it mostly in that depth but no large bait balls that I saw.

The white umbrella with 6 oz of weight back 180 - 100' has been a consistent producer. I rig that one a little differently in that I just a use stinger hook (barb crimped and the only hook in the bait) through the nose if the white shad and out the top (no chute). The tail is also dyed red/orange. Nick's 38" fish took it all.

Back at it next weekend.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Jim

Awesome report and pictures:rockingreport: :photo4: :yes: Thanks for taking the time to put it together, glad you made it back right in the nick of time:thumbup::fishing2:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Jerry it was good to talk to you the other day at the marina. Hopefully I can get you some reports soon. Congrats on the good luck.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Nice first report of the season... Hopefully we will be up and running by next weekend if our motors show up and get mounted by then!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Its was great fishing with Jerry, Jimmy and Jim. Thanks again Jerry for bringing me along. That storm was something else as quick as it got here it was gone. Its great to be fishing again.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
jerry looks like you broke the ice for the season. why did you bring all your xmas gifts and put them on the dashboard?
Nothing gets past you John. I had to go back and look at the picture to see what you were talking about. Jim usually brings some bait to try when we fish and he brings them in boxes. Unfortunately no hits on them yesterday but they were pretty.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
boy, I guess I'm just a little slow,but for the life of me I can't figgure out how you guys Jig and cast with those heavy rigs,and 20 oz. lures none the less.Must have been a lot of work,but good for you.
Wen

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Jim and Jerry.............good seeing you guys yesterday. Got ugly pretty quick. Good thing it wasn't two weeks later on opening day. That would have been ugly.....................Mark

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
Nice way to start the season - great looking fish - love those ocean fish colors.

Thanks for details on the spread - the 6 rod PSCR limit really makes it tough to experiment with various colors / depths.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Thanks for the report and great pics. I enjoyed reading it. While I'd rather be out there fishing, this living vicariously thing is working out better than I expected. :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Great report! Getting jumped by bad weather can be very scary. I'm glad that you all beat it. Nice looking fish too! Congratulations!

Don

1 - 20 of 20 Posts