Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you all do last night at HRBT?

Calvin, Dean, and I got there about 6 and stayed until about 10:30. Nothing to brag about, some striper and a dozen or so shad. You guys must have been farther inshore or got out later than us.

I like fishing from the yak better. You can move around more. At HRBT in a 20' boat you are stuck anchoring in one spot or else you have to constantly bump the boat in and out of gear. That sucks because A) you have to listen to the motor all night and B) the driver can't really fish. Anyway, it was nice to be able to hang out with my friends again but you can catch more fish from a kayak.

Tom

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Unless you have a trolling motor with autopilot. I don't think there is a comparison from boat that you can stand up in and has a trolling motor. A kayak might put you "at one" with the fish because you are at the mercy of the elements more but as an effective fishing machine can you really compare to a boat? I use to love my kayak but don't use it so much anymore. I might later this spring when the red fish come in but would still rather use the boat to open up more options.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Salmo trutta, there is nothing wrong with a power boat or just a boat with a trolling motor. yes you can cover more water than a yak, but its a person choice. I can not afford a boat, with gas, insurance, upkeep and all the rest that goes with it (not to mentions college tutuion next year) its tough even for the average guy. I like my kayak. We can catch the same fish as most people with the exception of tuna, dolphin, sailfish, wahoo and other species (done elsewhere though, do a web search). But many of us have large fish under our belts. Chads 43 pound cobia off sandbridge last year, Kevin's 20+ red drum on the maryland side of the CBBT last year are a couple of examples. There are pics if you doubt it, but what it boils down to is personal preference or economics. So dont knock another mans choice, let him celebrate his way of fishing and you celebrate yours. After all, its about the exprience not the mode of transport to the fish that makes life long memories when fishing! Tight lines!

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you are talking about running around all night or all day looking for fish then you are right about the boat, but if you do a little research, learn the water and learn the fish and go out with a focused intent then I would say it is the other way around, there is absolutely no way you can do in a boat with a trollling motor what you can do in a kayak. Even with a trolling motor wary fish will be put down or at least turned off by it. Is standing supposed to be an automatic advantage, I don't think so. It is a matter of vantage point and more often than not I have a better vantage point being at water level. Not to mention fishing is supposed to be enjoyable and like Tom said I don't think driving the boat all night is much fun. I have owned several power boats and usually took people fishing and I ended up driving all night while the other guys fished from my boat usually because very few could manuever properly in and around structure. I guess what I am saying is for what we do around here we are catching everything most people around here are catching, in some cases more, having more fun doing it and saving a butt ton of money.
CPR,
Chad

·
Registered
102 Posts
[Q]Salmo trutta originally wrote: I don't think there is a comparison from boat that you can stand up in and has a trolling motor.
[/Q]
Cool. Enjoy your boat. Sell your yak. I don't think you're going to convince anyone on this kayak fishing board to switch to a power boat since most of own one or used to own one. [grin] Maybe try to start an I Dont Fish Much From A Kayak board.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, I can give you a ton of reasons why I love my Wellcraft. It's great to be on the water with friends, kickin back with a few cold ones and talkin trash. I can also take friends and relatives out when they come in from out of town who may be to old, young, weak, or not adventurous enough to want to get in a kayak. And there may be places I can go in the boat that I can't get to in a kayak but I haven't been to one yet. It is a personal preference. And right now I think stricktly from a fishing standpoint I would rather be in the kayak.

I have done so many hobbies that involve the water starting at about age 1day. I have been through surfing, sailing, fishing, rowing, and waterskiing and now kayaking. They are all fun and for me being on the water is what makes me the happiest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.