Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was my first day out this year and it turned out to be a great one!
Left middle river around 12:30pm with my buddy Craig and had a beautiful ride on 1' or less seas down to the bridge.
Set in around 1/2 mile below on the eastern side. Slack tide was in play for the first hour or two and we weaved our way through the anchored ships hoping for a bite. No dice - very few marks.
The tide started to finally move a bit and we hooked up with the first fish of the year in 80' - a fat 39" that never popped the rubber band but fought like a beast once she knew she was hooked. Not two minutes later after setting the lines back out we had a feisty 33" hit another board line. Well we were done! Started heading north with the goal to start pulling lines and get back to the barn early. Plus I had a 4 pm conference call that I needed to participate in for work :(. Then lots of marks started showing up on the sounder. Uh oh. All of a sudden a board line popped 5 min before my conference call. Geez. Craig made fast work of her and we released her boat side. Thank god I can now get on my call.
Not five minutes into my TC another board line got crushed - drag screaming/rod bending. I put the phone on speaker (and muted) and reeled in a nice high 30's fish. She got released boat side as well.
Ok so I thought the madness was over - not. In the next 35 minutes we hooked another 2 fish. 6 fish total in probably an hour or so. I would have preferred not to have had as much C&R but the situation dictated otherwise unfortunately.
Needless to say I didn't participate much in the work call :)
We tried sharing our good luck via 68 but were met with some laughter and doubters...their loss.
Had another beautiful ride back to middle river.
All caught on board lines , 6-8 bars back. 2 on silver glitter shad, 3 chart and 1 white. 70-80' on outgoing tide. Water clarity - discolored.
Best day I've had in three years. Good luck to all.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
We fished the same area this morning, and did very well too. I was surprised and shocked the way people were talking on ch 68. Down right terrible. I had my 8yr old on the boat and had to turn off the radio.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was on 68 and heard of your good fortune. I was further south around buoy 84 around that time. I fished east and western chanel to no avail. But hey it was nice to be out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Usually the afternoon has the drunk morons that the DNR & police needs to start finding and rounding up and checked for operating under the influence.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Drove around all morning with the smell o da skunk. I thought incoming tide would be banging around Bloody to 86. Finally ranged north to 88 then picked up one on Frank Sinatra again Spanking White with Blue eyes. 4th fish on it this week. 6oz 50 off board. A few others were catching in the area around 1:00. Should have stayed. In 45 ft of water heading south during slack. IDK. Very little fish chatter in the morning and a lot of boats. Wind completely shut down in the afternoon and was nice out. Pre spawn fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts